Friday, January 14, 2011

Bingo!!



BIG TENT POETRY
http://bigtentpoetry.org/
asked us to use words from a list!

BINGO!

My mind was thin and frugal
So I made a stab at Google
To get a list of words that I could rhyme.
I'd been told to use a list,
And I said 'If you insist';
It seemed a little tricky at the time.
I found a site called 'Bingo'
Which had a way with lingo,
Creating lists for bingo games in schools.
For the topic I chose 'Climate';
If I found a word I'd rhyme it;
It seemed a game without too many rules!
*
So here goes! I'll have a try.....
I see 'wet' and I see 'dry',
I see 'humid', and a reference to 'snow';
I see 'desert' I see 'grass'
I see 'frost' that shines like glass,
I see 'muggy' when we'd like a breeze to blow.
I see 'permafrost' that will stay
For ever and a day;
I see 'tropical' a glimpse of Paradise.
I see 'tundra', rather bleak,
And not a place I'd seek;
I see 'steppes' the site of freezing snow and ice.
'Semiarid' I must say
Says to me 'Best stay away'.
But 'savannas' sound enticing in a way.
'Subtropical'? Sounds good
And, clearly, so it should,
That's the climate that I'm living in today.
*
There are some that I have missed
In this Bingo Climate List,
And my verses are the opposite of lyrical.
But the fact that I could trawl
And find anything at all
Was, to say the least, an unexpected miracle!
*

-----------------------------------------------------------


 
BACKSEAT DRIVER
(An Acrostic)

"Better let me navigate!
Aren't you going to accelerate?
Careful! You took that corner fast!
Keep to the left! He can't get past!
See! I told you the tyres were worn!
Easy does it! Not on the lawn!
Actually you should use second gear!
Turn here! Turn here! Turn here! Turn here!
*
Double-parking is a crime!
Remember you did it that other time!
It's getting late! Mind! Mind! Mind! Mind!
Vehicles coming up behind!
Empty parking over there!..........
Rudeness wont get you anywhere!"
*

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two crackers here, Rinkly. I enjoyed both in their different ways. Just to be picky: permafrost last for ever - perma, permanent - rather than days, but I forgive you for the fun it gave me.
ViV

nan said...

What fun, both! Loved the first one and was laughing through the second one.

RJ Clarken said...

I really enjoyed both poems! ☼

Laurie Kolp said...

I had so much fun reading these! Bingo flows so well and Backseat Driver, well, I think we can all relate some way or the other...

~laurie

Linda said...

I loved the playfulness of the first poem.

sam said...

Hilarious pieces. :) And I see the literary world is catching on - that was the first time I've seen Google mentioned in a poem!

Tumblewords: said...

How clever! Love the Bingo Climate and surely I've been the backseat driver - positively acrostic.

Deb said...

Fun. And I enjoyed the illustrations, too.

James said...

These are wonderful. What an especially fun read "Bingo" is! Well done.