Saturday, January 8, 2011

Survival!



FASCINATING BOOK COVERS
http://workofthepoet.blogspot.com/

SURVIVAL!

That he survived to tell the tale is something of an achievement!
I would have thought his relatives would have suffered a bereavement!
I find it hard to swallow pills if they stick in my throat
And they are usually smooth with a sort of sugar coat!
A sword, on the other hand, isn't smooth! It's sharp and long and evil;
Even 'falling on one's sword' is bad and almost medieval!
Imagine opening up one's mouth and one's gullet (even worse)!
Knowing that what is sliding in must come out in reverse!
Worst of all, initiation! Think of that first try
When a certain adage fills one's mind! Yes! That one.....'Do or die!'
And what would possess a young man to have such an ambition?
'I want to be sword-swallower, Dad! Please give me your permission!'
And what of the Dad who then replies 'I'm proud of you, my son!
Hie you to Swallowers to learn how it is done!'
This book looks pretty old to me; the cover reeks of age,
And I'm sure I'd find out that was so if I looked at every page.
But Swallowing is Swallowing, whatever be the era,
And, old or not, this expose must make the matter clearer!
'Don't try this at home', my friends, should be written on the cover!
For it's likely that the sword will stick and you will not recover!
*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------



BLACK AND TAN

I was looking for some 'black and tan' to use in a old meme,
And I found this unknown* singer who seemed to fit the theme.
This is a Black and Tan trading stamp from fifty years ago
With James Brown, the musician, obviously on show.
As well as being famous for his musical ability,
He liked to put himself about with some lack of humility.
His styles of music were funk and soul, which I don't like a lot
But it seems he was a genius and his music considered hot.
That's all I know about this very famous gentleman!
But he helped me find a picture that was, truly, 'Black and Tan'.
*to me
*

2 comments:

Kathe W. said...

sword swallowers and James Brown...great post!

maryt/theteach said...

Wonderfully colorful book cover, Brenda! :)