Sunday, January 23, 2011

On Parade



It's fantastic being four!
I've never been this big before!
Yesterday when I was three
I wasn't half as big as me!
See my birthday presents here!
Meant for a Big Boy, that's quite clear!
I've spread them out across the floor
So you can tell that I am four!
*
-------------------------------------------------------------------

 
A TIME MORE GENTLE


Times were gentler then.
A woman could pause
In her labours
To smile at her child on the grass.
*
The sheets
Would smell of freshly-mown grass.
They would dry
With the heat of the sun.
*
When they went back into the house
Grandmother,
In the ingle-nook,
Would take the child on her knee.
She would tell and re-tell old tales
And the child
Would never grow tired of them
*
On the hob
A pan of delicious soup
Would boil and bubble.
The aroma
Would permeate the house.
*
Yes, times were gentler then.
*
But what is this?
Father has returned!
He is drunk!
*
'Where's my food, woman!'
He'll shout.
'Bring it here or I'll belt you!'
*
Times were ......different.....then.
*

1 comment:

Jama said...

he sure got some cool presents there! next time try taking photo of the colorful cars he has there and submit it for CC.