Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Inexplicable


 
(Though mine is a poetry blog, this seemed to demand prose.)

INEXPLICABLE!

There it was again! My favourite word! 'Inexplicable'! It was in the headline today, which made the project so much more satisfactory! Usually 'my' word is just in the body of the account. But this time I got a headline........ 'Another Inexplicable Accident!' All very satisfying.
Ghosts are usually depicted as ethereal beings, rather misty and semi-human, wafting around emitting strange noises. Or they may be invisible, clattering cups, that sort of thing. None of that is my style. I always was an individualist!
I had been on my way to propose to Annabelle. We had only known each other a short while but I knew we were meant for each other. The ring, in its box, lay on the passenger seat. I glanced at it now and again as I drove along the snow-covered lane. Had I chosen wisely? Was it, maybe, too flashy for my lovely girl? I began to doubt my own taste; after all, everything had to be just right.
I stretched out my left hand to open the box and take one more look. This was a foolish thing to do on a slippery road. I realise that now. As I wrestled with the tiny clasp on the box, with one hand, I lost control of the car and it ploughed into the trees on my right.
It was after my death that the great bitterness engulfed me. As I began to re-form in The Great Dark a desire for revenge overtook my being. Why should other love-lives continue, when mine had been destroyed?
Gradually, the idea of The Arrow formed in my mind. I think I told you I was an individualist?
I choose my victims carefully. They must always be young lovers. Sometimes I have to wait for months, even years, before the ideal couples appear.  Then I arrange myself as The Arrow, always pointing to the right.
I have had my failures, of course. Sometimes the young man at the wheel rubs his eyes, shakes his head in disbelief and drives on.
But yesterday was  a triumph! I watched it all...... the sudden braking,  the wild turning of the steering-wheel, the deaths!
And now, today, that wonderful headline. 'Another Inexplicable Accident'!
*

18 comments:

signed...bkm said...

Oh what a revengeful soul...glad not to be a young lover driving in the snow or I would really not sleep well....you twisted this prompt in an incredible write..could be a subject for a Stephan King like novel...bkm

Uma Anandane said...

what a scary story....well written

RJ Clarken said...

Now that's a scary story! You told it so well, though...

Lyn said...

You did this well, very chilly little tale..time for Ghostbusters!!

Maggie said...

Now, I'm gonna have nightmares. Cool.

Unknown said...

chilly tale for a chilly evening here in the 'Shire :)

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness I don't have a car anymore ...

Corrina Terry said...

Not what I expected at all! The twist into becoming a ghost and luring in victims is fantastic!

Kay L. Davies said...

Extremely well done, Brenda, which is, of course, what we've all come to expect from you. And you're right, the prompt does seem to demand prose. Not prosaic, however! A ghost causing inexplicable car accidents, very good stuff!
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Kristen Haskell said...

Oh the maddness of it all. I got the chills on this one. The revenge is bitter. Great tale I really enjoyed it!

Reflections said...

Oooh, macabre revenge so sweet... a love lost repeating his demise in envy of their souls.

I like how you do prose.

Kathe W. said...

yikes- some signs are not to be trusted!

Tess Kincaid said...

Inexplicable!

hedgewitch said...

This one would be great around a campfire--scary, and explains the arrow quite neatly.

Grandma's Goulash said...

Such a captivating tale and told in such a believable way that it becomes even more scary. Well done.

Alice Audrey said...

This one's very Twilight Zone-y. Nice handling of the prompt.

Carrie Van Horn said...

What a chilling tale indeed Brenda! :-)

Kavita said...

Whheeww..this DEFINITELY gave me the chills, Brenda!!
But really, what an awesome take on the Mag... gripping, extremely well written... And I kept wondering 'why...?'

A fantastic piece of prose... unusual and individualistic! :) [in a good way ofcourse]