Thursday, January 12, 2012

Olivia


SEPIA SCENES

OLIVIA

Olivia sat with folded hands
And an unselfconscious pose,
Thinking thoughts about grown-ups
That her face did not disclose.
Surrounded by elderly ladies
She remained serene.
Which is really pretty remarkable,
Considering she's thirteen!
*
AND HERE'S THE POEM OLIVIA WROTE FOR ME TO SAY THANK YOU!
(She's 13!)
Dear Brenda,
Thank you for your fabulous poem 'Olivia.
I wish I was as talented as you.
The way you can whip up a melodrama
And act so melodramatic
You are a true melodrama fanatic.
You write for a group called 'The Merry Mellows',
Which occasionally attracts some old fellows
Some fall asleep and some stay awake.
Luckily most stay around for the tea and the cake!
Love from Olivia.
-----------------------------------------------------

CONTROVERSY INDEED!

Alberta's as remote from me as I'm remote from it! 
And the state of its education doesn't worry me a bit!
I've enough worries here in Oz to occupy my mind!
And what's the betting the worries 'there' are of a similar kind?
Life's full of controversy, whatever the hemisphere!
Alberta has day-care problems? Guess what we have here!
One problem that I've heard-of is the very poor state of pay
Of the tireless day-care workers who manage the kids all day!
(No! Don't write and elucidate! I'll take it all as read!)
I'll tell you my reason for writing this commentary instead.
Why are the children upside-down? Poor old, cold Alberta!
Are the children treated with an orientation converter?
I have a theory.... I think they're floating upside-down because
They're passing some sort of test to prove they could live in the land of Oz!
For, in Australia, as you know, we all live like that!
Where Albertians wear their shoes we tend to wear a hat!
No wonder it's controversial! I must read and discover
If the contents of the book live up to its quirky cover!
*

2 comments:

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

I enjoyed both poems!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Beautiful post.

Regards and best wishes