Friday, January 20, 2012

The Dark Velvet Voice


WRITING IN THE BUFF
has supplied this 'book cover'

Would this blurb encourage you to read this book?

THE DARK VELVET VOICE
by
Jemima Coddingly-Whirtle

Because she is blind
 Sophie has always set great store
by
Voices.
*
Many a suitor
Has questioned her rejection,
Not realising that his voice
Squeaks,
Hisses,
Croaks
Or merely
'Isn't right'.
*
Sophie can afford to pick and choose.
After all she is
Beautiful,
Talented
And Rich.
Very rich.
*
She once dated
A middle-aged man
Who was balding
And growing grey at the temples,
Because he sounded like
Richard Burton.
Friends alerted her
Before she made a Big Mistake.
*
Now she is listening on the phone
To the most glorious male voice
She has ever heard!
Think treacle,
Think doves,
Think velvet.
'My name is Dominic'
Says the Voice.
*
Dominic is a villain,
And Dominic has plans for Sophie
That do not include 
Love.
*
Read how Sophie is
Seduced by The Voice.
Learn about Dominic's evil plans.
Meet his wicked companions.
Struggle with Sophie
Through days and nights
Of terror.
*
Only Fergus can save her.
But Fergus has a voice like
A rusty hinge...............

The Elocution Teachers' Manual; Read this wonderful book to learn about the part played by elocution in matters of seduction; Signed Henry Higgins.
*
-------------------------------------------------------


PORTRAIT OF AN UNKNOWN GIRL

She looked a nice young kid, fresh-faced, with a sunny smile.
She was sitting in the sunshine, entirely without guile.
I was photographing scenery down there beside the sea,
And she looked up and laughed and said  'I dare you to take me!'
It was such an innocent request, made with a little laugh,
So, there and then, I captured her in a seaside photograph.
Her face was scrubbed and shiny, her hair in a pony-tail;
An everyday girl, she seemed to me, a casual, passing male.
As I turned to leave I questioned her; 'What's your name?' I said.
And, suddenly, I was overwhelmed with a sense of future dread.....
'My name is Norma Jean' she replied  'I'm changing it, you know.
My new name will be so pretty........
It's Marilyn Munroe.'
*

4 comments:

S.E.Ingraham said...

that blurb just might entice me to read that book rinkly ... it's pretty provocative ...

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Well, where are her friends to warn her when Dominic comes on the scene, lol! Will the squeaky voice get the wheel? This is a great story and of course I would buy it.

I LOVE the poem about Marilyn as a girl. I really enjoy how you insert so much humor into your poetry.

Hugs,

Kathy M.

Kay L. Davies said...

Well, Brenda, I would have to read that book by Jemima Coddingly-Whirtle. I think she should have stuck with the old balding guy, though.
K

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Jemima Coddingly-Whirtle . . . where do you come up with these names? You're the master. LOL Love the blurb and the whole concept.

Your Marilyn poem is lovely, very bittersweet.