Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Man by the Hearth



The Wordle

THE SUNDAY WHIRL
asks us to use the words in the wordle


THE MAN BY THE HEARTH
Is it a memory, is it a dream,
Or a story someone told me?
If it's imagination why does it have
Such power to enfold me?
I see the village in my mind
In a half-forgotten way,
In a flash that dies as soon as it's born
Brilliant, fading to grey.
The memory's bubbling all the time,
And fluttering in my heart.
I try to rebuild the certainty
But I don't know where to start.
It seems I walk over cobble-stones
Till I reach a gate at last.
I see the thatched cottage before me
And I know I can't walk past.
I am scarcely breathing
As I walk up the garden path,
Push open the door and discover
Someone by the hearth.
He speaks, but the picture's fading,
As I grope for reality;
Who, in heaven's name is he
And why is he speaking to me?
Thousands of times this picture
Has invaded my puzzled brain;
No doubt, between waking and sleeping,
I'll see it tonight again.
And, once more, I'll be wide awake
Dredging my memory.
I know I've never met him
So who can the stranger be?
*
--------------------------------------------------------------


CHOICES! CHOICES!

Try this one Katie! You're wasting time!
You've got one like that already!
This one will look much better
When you're out tonight with Freddy!
*
I liked that blue one over there!
The one with the little dangles.
I think that would look quite nice!
I could wear it with my blue bangles!
*
But you want to wear that dress you bought!
And that won't go with blue!
Remember! It's got red flowers on it!
You haven't got a clue!
*
I may not wear that dress at all!
It makes me look all bust!
Freddy likes my old black dress;
I'll wear that if I must.
*
Black! You'll look just awful!
He wont ask you out again!
And what if you spill your latte!
It will make an awful stain!
*
Maybe I'll wear the red and white.
But not with red beads too!
Lets go and look at the silver!
Silver! Yes that might do!
*
Do you want to look like your Granny!
There are gold ones over there!
Francine tells me that this year
That's the colour to wear!
*
I've been thinking about the dress.....
I might buy something new!
Yes, red earrings will look just right!
And I'll buy the blue ones too..............
*

5 comments:

vivinfrance said...

Good wordling, and I love your ditherer!

Marianne said...

Love the easy flow of the words in "THE MAN BY THE HEARTH." You tell the story so well. Who is that man???

Cheryl said...

You are very good at rhyming. I like the wordle a lot.

Traci B said...

I love the unanswered mystery of "The Man by the Hearth", and "Choices! Choices!" made me think of shopping excursions with my niece. :)

Unknown said...

'The Man by the Hearth' is wonderful. The entire time I was reading I just kept thinking I know how that feels, I have a memory of a man in a chair on a porch and it drives me nuts not knowing who he is or what porch it is.