Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Boa! Constrict Her!


ABC WEDNESDAY
BOA! CONSTRICT HER!

It could have been a bad mistake,
Naming a scarf after some old snake!
And not just any mild creepy crawler!
The one they chose was a deathly mauler!
Having designed a scarf from feathers.....
'Warmth and elegance in all weathers.'......
They chose a name from the deepest jungle!
Surely that could have been a bungle.
Victorian ladies were prone to faint,
Something we consider rather quaint.
There was every chance that they'd swoon away
And then there would have been hell to pay!
'A boa constrictor! What an allusion!'
And then there would have been such confusion....
'When it's coiled round under my chin,
You can't imagine the state I'm in!
I feel it tightening bit by bit!
I think I'm going to have a fit!'
The designer could have been blamed and sued 
(Though in those old days people weren't so rude.)
My theory is that the boa's creator
Was secretly a woman-hater.
He'd been leading a ghastly life
With a harridan as a wife.
He'd designed the scarf with a view to death,
Intending to squeeze out all her breath.
But she said 'Trala!' and went to the shops
Where all the shoppers pulled out the stops,
Oohing and aahing  in admiration
At this feathery-fine creation.
'It's a boa constrictor' the wife declared,
And found the shoppers not one whit scared.
They were then produced commercially,
And now they're my theme for the letter 'B'.
*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The tiles in my son's kitchen

MOODY BLUES

Sometimes I'm drawn to symmetry; sometimes I like a riot,
A scene of crazy dissonance, a dazzle of unquiet.
Sometimes it gives me pleasure when patterns stand in line;
Sometimes a whirligig of hues seems absolutely fine.
I wonder if psychologists consider this attraction;
These quite opposing decorations giving satisfaction.
I'm feeling rather low today so is that why I choose
These tiles? Is there security in these, my Moody Blues?
*

7 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

LOL...Love the Moody Blues poem...BTW...I call my blog Ann's Moody Blues, because sometimes I can be quite Moody.

Roger Owen Green said...

like a BREATH of fresh air!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Chubskulit Rose said...

I like the design of that tiles.

Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

photowannabe said...

Utterly delightful.
Such a thought...a boa constrictor around my neck.

Unknown said...

Whatever the case, they wore it all the same !!

Pheno, ABCW Team

Kay L. Davies said...

Ah, the fateful feather boa...of course it must have been named by a misogynist, Brenda. How brilliant of you to figure it out!
The blue tiles, however, look quite cheerful to me, like something from Delft, or a sky with a small smattering of cloud.
K

Wanda said...

Great picture and poem!!