Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Intention


                                      Colson

SIMPLY SNICKERS
 
MY INTENTION

Now seems the time to make a mention
Of my once-avowed intention
To be a stately lady in old age!
I thought I'd see, with life enduring,
A very elegant maturing,
A graceful entry into life's late stage!
*
I knew I'd get a 'widow's hump'
But I thought I'd be all cuddly-plump,
With rosy cheeks and a twinkle in my eye.
I planned to sit in the ingle-nook
Reading pages from a Dickens book,
Merely watching the rest of life go by.
*
Embroidery? Yes, I'd try that,
Sewing some lacy table-mat,
And smiling to myself with modest charm.
My voice would grow all sweet and deep,
And often I would fall asleep
Like an old cushion, soft and warm and calm.
*
Needless to say, the times have changed;
My attitude is rearranged;
I'm hardly ever home, if truth were told.
I rush about with old 'girl' friends
In a social whirl that never ends!
So much for growing calm as I grow old!
*

A vintage view of old age here:
http://rinklyrimes.blogspot.com/2008/06/27-very-fine-vintage.html





No comments: