Sunday, April 29, 2012

Too Tutu


MAD KANE
gave us the first line

TOO TUTU

A man had a notable knack
For acting as Jill, though born Jack.
When all pink and frilly,
He looked a bit silly,
And his girlfriend soon gave him the sack! 
*
------------------------------------------------------------

April Showers, Hassam


                                                Hassam

APRIL SHOWERS

I remember the tide of optimism; Summer was on its way.
Winter was receding; April heralded May.
As a girl I felt the sap rising higher, ever higher
As though everything in Nature was working to conspire
Against greyness, cold and lethargy, against discipline and school!
Then, every year it seemed the same, I became an April Fool;
While my heart was singing Summer songs down came the April Showers,
Battering the brave young leaves, decapitating flowers!
'Not yet!' the showers seemed to say; 'You still have a way to go.
Don't you feel a little chilly? We may even turn to snow!'
Was it good for my soul, maybe, to cope with disappointment,
When Summer made a date with me and then missed the appointment?
June, July and August still waved a beckoning finger,
But Winter kept a strangle-hold, determined it must linger.
And yet, that very fickleness was part of the Springtime joy.
Yes, April could be tantalising, teasing us, being coy.
But here, in another country, where Springtime just strolls in,
Where hardly anything marks the time when the warmer months begin,
I remember April Showers with a rush of real affection
And my heart is on a journey in a Northerly direction.
*
----------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Kay L. Davies said...

We had snow here last week, even though my Nanking Cherry was in bloom.
April can be very fickle.
K