Sunday, April 29, 2012

Dreamless Sleep




CARRY ON TUESDAY
asks us to use Lord Byron's words (in blue)

If I had a dream it would take me by surprise,
For night is unbroken darkness when I close my eyes.
Not for me the brilliant adventures, the flying-carpet view,
The colourful companions, the trips to Timbuctoo.
But not for me the nightmares, the standing at a height
Knowing I'm about to fall, the terrifying plight;
The gibbering monsters, cackling fiends and other nasty things
That, to the nightmare prone, it seems, the nightly darkness brings.
My nights are all black velvet, unbroken and serene.
Not to be feared or delighted-in, just peacefully in-between.
*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF ONLY

Tomorrow's Headlines! I kid you not!
Ones that are sure to hit the spot!
*
CANCER DEFEATED! A CERTAIN CURE!
POLLUTED WATERS NOW COMPLETELY PURE!
TEENAGERS GROWING MORE CONTROLLED!
CHILDREN NOW DOING WHAT THEY'RE TOLD!
CO2 REDUCED WORLD WIDE!
POLITICIAN ADMITS HE LIED!
GLOBAL WARMING NOW REVERSED!
AFRICAN CHILDREN NO LONGER THIRST!
DEADLY DISEASE STRIKES DRUG SUPPLY.
AUSTRALIAN DESERT NO LONGER DRY!
*
Tomorrow's Headlines I bring to you.
If only they were half-way true!
*




1 comment:

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Still laughing at the second one. I had to double check whether it was April Fools Day. :)