Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Loneliness


WE WRITE POEMS
asked us to emulate Wordsworth and his daffodils!

THE LONELINESS
(Of the superior shopper)

I wander lonely as a blob
That drifts among the surging throng.
Around me people hob and nob
And somehow I do not belong.
I feel removed from riff and raff;
I feel superior, yes I do!
While some may make a social gaffe,
I'm from the planet Xanadu.
A shopping-centre is the place
For isolation at its best,
Humanity seems oh so base
And yet I am not like the rest.
The prams and bags and shuffling feet
Of other mortals shopping-bent,
Make me feel lonely yet complete.
I'm an on-looker, and content.
*
---------------------------------------------------------------------


PERPETUAL MOTION!

A little boy is 'sitting still', watching a video.
But, in the way of all little boys, he still is 'on the go'.
Scratch and wriggle, writhe and squirm,
Exactly like a wriggly worm!
No wonder he sleeps like a log at night,
Wriggling over! Out like a light!

*

5 comments:

21 Wits said...

I think it's kind of fun to hob and nob about, but most of all I enjoy catching up on your delightful poems!

Kay L. Davies said...

Wonderful, Brenda. Wordsworth might wonder at your words, but I can see their worth.
You're so right about little boys. A mother asking "Can't you sit still?" is sure to get the answer "No, I can't."
K

Chèvrefeuille said...

Wordsworth would have loved your choice of words in this one.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, what an excellent parody! Clever and funny in its own right, and all the more so as a spoof of the original.

I liked the little boy too.

Rachel Hoyt said...

The Loneliness is delightful! I love the spirit behind it. "around me people hob and nob" is great! :) :)