Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Lavender


ABC WEDNESDAY
letter 'L'

LAVENDER

Like a lake of violets
All the way to the sky.
Vast, vast swathes of lavender
Each way one casts ones eye.
Near to us and far away
Delighting every sense!
Ecstasy ! And, for our sorrow,
Recompense!
*

---------------------------------------------------------------



I wrote this when I was in my twenties and, obviously, not doing too well in the romantic department!
It originally had a rather plaintive tune!
I am struck by the innocence of these sixty year old lyrics!

THE ONLOOKER!

When they walk in the park on Sunday I watch them as they go
Two by two with a bill and coo,
Strolling to and fro.
It's all so neat and practical, the way these things are done;
Moves sublimely tactical
Underneath the Sunday sun.
*
When they walk in the park on Sunday I feel like a wingless bird
Looking-on till life has gone;
Stupidly absurd.
My fate to always dream of things, my life my own affair.
They're all little cogs in the scheme of things
And I am just a spare!
*
When they walk in the park on Sunday I see with a jaundiced eye
How they smile and stop awhile
Just to gaze and sigh.
It's really so poetical, the way fond lovers act.
My knowledge is theoretical
While their's is solid fact.
*

5 comments:

VioletSky said...

As much as I love the look of lavender, especially a field of it, I cannot stand the smell. I know it is supposed to help headaches, but it actually gives me one rather than relieving it. So sad.

Roger Owen Green said...

I'm still a romantic.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

ChrisJ said...

Lavender is such a lovely color. But oh Rinkley, how sad is the poem about the lovers.

Jeannette StG said...

It looks like a painting that you posted? Yours? Sorry that at that time you felt like a wingless bird.
I love the look and the smell.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

did you paint the lavender picture? I love it.