Saturday, October 3, 2009

Massacred Music!



SHADOW SHOT SUNDAY

MASSACRED MUSIC!

Do you recall a time, my dears, which was quite a while ago,
When Victor Sylvester played the tunes for that good old 'Quick, quick slow'?
When we rushed to buy the records, because we longed to own
All the latest numbers to play on a gramophone?
And do you recall how we wound it up with a sort of handle thing,
So we could wallow at any time in all that jazz and swing?
And do you recall how it wound down with an almost anguished whine,
And how we kept a special cloth to retain the records' shine?
These poor old cast-off relics are now in other hands,
Treated as coasters, dishes, bowls or even teapot stands.
I saw these at the market, this one swinging in the breeze.
What a way to treat those old discarded memories!
Do you recall the days......? You don't ? I know the reason why.
It's because you're you're nowhere near as elderly as I!
*

A romance of the era here:

10 comments:

Margaret Gosden said...

That is a very clever one!

storyteller at Sacred Ruminations said...

Nifty shadow views and vivid memories too (showing my age I guess).
Hugs and blessings,

Sylvia K said...

Clever shadow shot, fun memories and delightful words, as always!

Enjoy!

Sylvia

Unknown said...

WHat a unique photo for SSS. Oh, I do remember these little records. I used to keep mine in a red case with a handle. The first 45 I ever bought by myself was Let It Be by the Beatles!

Hey Harriet said...

Cool shot! At least people are finding interesting uses for the old records. Better than trashing them I guess. I much prefer records to CDs. Nothing beats the crackle and pop of vinyl recordings. I love records!

Rosebud Collection said...

I have all mine in a case..Very nice shadow shot..Enjoyed your words that went with the picture..
they hit home..
Happy SSS.

Crafty Green Poet said...

very nice photo!

records are coming back a wee bit nowadays,

A Wild Thing said...

Ahhh, yes, the good ol' days, when you could buy a whole album of music for $2.99.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

The record still plays—
at least in my memories—
old, familiar songs.


My Shadow Shot

Quilt Works said...

Clever shadow shot!