Sunday, December 13, 2009

Mark's Mum



                  Mark Gertler


SIMPLY SNICKERS


MARK'S MUM!


She wasn't too pleased about the interruption.
*
'Can't you see I'm baking'
She said.
'Can't it wait?
You're always the same!
You get a bee in your bonnet
And off you go!
*
Why must you paint now?
At least let me wash my hands!'
*
'I have an artistic temperament'
Said Mark.
'My muse is calling me
And I must obey!'
*
'Stuff and nonsense!'
Said Mother.
'You're just a spoilt brat;
Always were!
*
As a baby
You were impossible!
And you haven't changed!'
*
'You always did favour Eloise.
Sit still! Stop fidgeting!'
Mark speaking.
*
'At least let me take off this scarf!
And change my dress!'
*
'Too late!
I've started!'
*
'Don't make my hands look too big!'
*
'I'll paint them the way they are!
They're not your best feature!'
*
'These hands, let me tell you,
Have slaved over many a hot stove
For you!
And what thanks do I get!
Just a house full of paintings!
And I don't like any of them!
Why don't you paint flowers?
Flowers are pretty.
I could do with a bit of prettiness
In my life.'
Hurry up!
Or you won't get a meal today!'
*
'You can get back to your cooking!
It's finished!'
*
She wasn't too pleased........