Sunday, June 14, 2009

Treeson



SHADOW SHOT

It was just your average palm tree, of the sort we, daily, pass,
But I saw its shadow lying there before me on the grass
And I found myself regretting, as I've often done before,
That I never took the trouble to discover how to draw!
For this shadow had the makings of a comical cartoon!
It looked positively human on that sunny afternoon!
I longed to add a great big smile, and then two bulbous eyes
And perhaps a scarlet nose of a grotesque enormous size.
I'd add two ears like cabbages, and then the legs and arms,
And show some missing teeth to add to all the other charms.
I'd add some trousers and a vest, until he was complete,
And he would soon be noticed by the people in the street.
But then I looked up at his hair! What a terrible disgrace!
It didn't do a single thing for his really charming face!
'Get a haircut!' I blurted out; 'Before it gets too late!
Unless you do, you're a date-palm
Who'll never get a date!'

Read about a true cartoonist here:


6 comments:

Margaret Gosden said...

I am so glad you didn't take the trouble to learn to draw! It is amusing as it is! Photography and poetry go well together, so don't take it amiss!

quilly said...

It looks like Treeson needs to roll up the cuffs of his pants!

The whimsy of this poem fit the photo perfectly!

Dr.John said...

I loved this poem. It just seems to pour out.

A Wild Thing said...

What funny words to describe a lowly palm, you painted the picture perfectly of this stranger, I got a pretty good visual...ha!

Hey Harriet said...

I love that tree shadow! And I loved your comical poem even more!!! Brilliant writing!!! :)

Kat said...

Probably that's the haor style that's the rage making girls swoon..!!!!

Perhaps the sassy young gentleman could pick a tip from this date-palm's hair style :)))

http://rinklyrimes.blogspot.com/2009/06/recognition.html