Friday, June 12, 2009

On Show!



ELIZABETH WIX
suggests an item based on plates.
Here's my effort.
My Mother died twenty years ago.

ON SHOW!
My mother made this plate for me when she was ninety-four.
And, until now I've kept it wrapped in tissue in a drawer.
As you will read in a future blog* my kitchen has changed its colour;
Previously, terra cotta ruled, with grey, so things were duller.
But now it's been remodeled and the basic shade is white,
So red looks great against it! Quite dazzling and bright.
So almost twenty years too late it's hanging on the wall
And visitors admire it if they ever come to call.
I'm sure she had a lot of help at the club she used to visit,
But, even so, it's not too bad for a very old lady, is it?
It has a very cheerful look, so, if I wake-up glum,
I look up at my kitchen wall and say 'Good-morning Mum!'

(* For Ruby Tuesday)

Another old lady and her blog here:

10 comments:

Jo said...

Absolutely beautiful plate, Brenda and your poem compliments it. I can't wait to see your kitchen. I'm sorry about the loss of your dear mum so recently.

starbender said...

You are so cleaver! It doesn't matter what the plate looks like, just that mom did it for you. I'm sorry for your loss, but it seems mom had a full life. I guess in life, it's the quality, not the quantity.

Darlene said...

What a lovely way to say "Good morning, Mum." A lovely reminder hanging in the most used room in the house.

Patty said...

Just think, each heart she painted red, was filled with love for you her daughter. I'm glad you found a place for it. I would have, if nothing else, had it hanging in my bedroom so I could have been looking at it. It's a lovely piece of art. Poem was great.

Margaret Gosden said...

Who knows why we put lovely things in drawers for so long, but since you have hung it, it is something good to behold first thing in the morning, perhaps the more so now in your new kitchen.

Unknown said...

Hello Brenda,

Just popped in via Elizabeth's to read your plate contribution. Such a lovely way to remember your Mum and have the plate on display at last. Your verses are inspiring, such simple, straightforward words with a twist. I've enjoyed my visit.

Crafty Green Poet said...

what a gorgeous plate! I enjoyed your narrative poem too,

Kat said...

'Good-morning Mum!'
Felt so touched.

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

That is beautiful!!!

carmilevy said...

Your mom taught you well indeed. As I lost my dad barely 6 weeks ago, this resonates very strongly with me.

You've reminded me that I need to spend time thinking about the things that physically connected us. And I need to make them visible in my own home, too. Thank you for this!