Thursday, June 11, 2009

Yard Sale


Letter 'Y'
YARD SALE
I'm addicted to the second-hand, the bargain and the snip,
A Yard Sale may be far away but I yearn to make a trip.
To rummage through another's 'stuff' is tantamount to bliss.
Even though you'll sometimes hear me mutter 'Fancy selling this!'
The wares look full of promise when they're piled-up on the floor,
Even though I'm never really certain what I'd use them for.
I'm hopelessly impractical, but I've got imagination;
My husband tends to shy away with a look of indignation
When I say 'Oh look! A broken lamp! You could fix that quick as lightening!'
I get a smouldering sort of glance that's really rather frightening.
' How about that little chair? You could fix the broken seat!'
Or 'That just needs a lick of paint! You could make it look quite sweet!'
I even try dishonesty, saying 'I only wish that I
Were capable of fixing things! But I can't although I try!'
He knows I never try at all; I'm much too busy writing!
The world of paint and screwdriver has never been inviting.
So we've got an awful lot of stuff that's cluttering up the place;
I believe the area in the roof's an absolute disgrace!
So many good intentions (those jobs with him in mind)
That anything that's really ours is always hard to find.
'We must get rid of this rubbish!' he is inclined to wail.
'I know! I've got a great idea!
Let us have a Garage Sale!'
*

You can read about Malcolm's own weakness here:


9 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

Excellent use of rhyme and rhythm! A cute story, too!

quilly said...

This was a rollicking read -- as I've come to expect.

Whenever I tell Amoeba I want to go to a Garage Sale, he tells me we don't need another garage. Pft.

irenet said...

Your version strikes close to the heart. Enjoyed it.

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, this is funny! True and funny. Every now and then, I'm tempted to hit a sale or two but the realization that there's nowhere to put another item renders it a no-go. Good work, as always.

Kat said...

No wonder your husband looks indignant :))

Fixing/painting/repairing/tightening/cluttering...!!!

Jerry said...

I've known a few people over the years who have had that addiction! It sure results in a good deal of clutter. *smile*

TorAa said...

It seems it's your turn to arrange a Garage Sale;)

Noel Morata said...

aloha,

i like your own interpretation of addiction , wow i am also addicted its a big saturday event here in hawaii to go to garage sales :)

come and check out my addiction on my sari blog, come join if you feel inspired.

http://noelmorata.blogspot.com/2010/04/words-that-inspire.html

carolina mountains said...

I have had to give up that addiction! Now I have my own yard sales to get rid of the stuff!