Thursday, January 14, 2010

Wash-Board




A THOUSAND WORDS
http://www.themomjen.com/2008/03/thousand-words.html

WASH-BOARD

We have a small museum in the centre of our town
And it's merely someone's house that's been preserved.
The artifacts inside it are normal household things
Given the rapt attention that's deserved.
They date from the nineteen-fifties, when people washed by hand,
And did many other chores the same way too,
And here we see the Curator telling my grandson, Blake,
What work the wash-boards were supposed to do.
It's a picture of no consequence, and yet I think it's sweet;
Blake's rapt attention lighting-up the scene.
I wonder if he remembers that day so long ago
Every time his clothes get tossed in the machine!
*

Wash-day nostalgia here, too:
http://rinklyrimes.blogspot.com/2009/01/285-whiter-than-white.html


9 comments:

LA Nickers said...

Sweet verse - and photo!

Margaret Gosden said...

How nice. I don't remember them being see-through, more metal ribbed!

Ginny Hartzler said...

It is a sweet picture. I remember washboards. I think boys should learn housework and cooking like girls, so they don'y have to depend on a woman to do it all for them.

Martha said...

Cute picture.. so glad we don't have to wash clothes that way! Cute verse too!

Messy Mommy said...

I can't imagine having to laundry that way! I can barely get it done with my machine!

The Mom Jen said...

Great shot! I just had a conversation with my oldest about hand-washing clothes and she was perplexed! "WHY would anyone do that?!" LOL.

Mel Fraase said...

Very cute! I suppose when he doesn't want to do chores in the future, you could offer to get your own washboard? :)

annies home said...

looks like he would be a great wash boarder. My father used to tell me stories about him having to make butter, milk cows I do not remember anything about washboarding but he may have done that too

Anonymous said...

Some may feel squeamish about eating it, but rabbit has a fan base that grows as cooks discover how easy they are to raise — and how good the meat tastes.