Monday, December 12, 2011

My Little Boat


MAGPIE TALES
supplied the illustration

MY LITTLE BOAT

My little boat is ready to leave
For wider seas and oceans;
My brain is full of great ideas,
And many exciting notions.
I fret and fume at my static life
With it's sluggish, dull conditions;
I blame the sand, the sea, the sky
For curbing my ambitions.
'If only...' is my parrot cry,
'I could be something great!
If only this or that or those
Didn't hinder my present state!'
The sluggish sands of indolence
Gradually pull me under,
Yet still the wide horizons
Fill me with yearning wonder.
My little boat is rocking now;
Too soon it will float away,
And I shall linger in the sand
For ever and a day.
*
---------------------------------------------------------

SAMURAI SANTA

Santa Claus looked very different
When first he came to Japan, 
He wasn't fat and jolly,
Like our usual Santa man!
He was dressed as a Samurai Warrior
So the culture was appeased!
But he still brought gifts and jollity
So everyone was pleased!
*

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the feeling of adventure despite the restrictions in your Magpie

next gen Santa??

Happy Holidays

Lady's Knight said...

( sorry if you get 2 comments)
You give the boat both a sense of freedom and restriction

New Gen Santa - ha

Maureen said...

One wants to yell out, "Just do it!"

I admire your talent for rhyming.

This may be the first time I've seen Santa as Samurai.

Kay L. Davies said...

I've seen indolence gather up many a person, that's for sure, Brenda.
I'm grateful I'm not one of them. I'm not particularly glad I destroyed my health with overwork, but I also don't have any regrets about "if only" and "what if" and "maybe perhaps"!
Yours is a very insightful response to today's Magpie prompt. And I didn't know about Santa in Japan.
K

Cad said...

Yet still the wide horizons
Fill me with yearning wonder.

Long may they do so!

Lyn said...

Boy, did this ever hit the spot, excellent rhyming..the sadness of procrastination..guilty here too!

Helen said...

Enchanting Magpie rhyme!!!

Martin said...

Put this way, that boat seems mighty familiar.

Doctor FTSE said...

Love your rhyming skills and your wisdom, as usual, (I leave your poem determined to really get going on a new project. I will. I will!)

Berowne said...

Exquisite writing. BTW, You remember WWII? Drop by...

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done....thanks for sharing your words

Bodhirose said...

More often than not, we get in our own way. Excellent!

Also, enjoyed your Samurai Santa--kids wouldn't mind how Santa shows up, as long as there are still gifts.

susan m hinckley said...

Nicely written, and the rhyme gave it a fun lilt that was a nice juxtaposition with the bleak image. Well done!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Excellent Magpie!

Anna :o]

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

"Yet still the wide horizons fill me with yearning wonder"
Struck a chord with me- nice mag!