Monday, December 5, 2011

The Last Refuge


GOOSEBERRY GARDEN
asks us to consider our own lives

THE LAST REFUGE

I always thought interesting thoughts.
I used to roll them around the tongue of my brain
And find them delicious.
It mattered not that there was every possibility
That my thoughts were
Mundane,
Ordinary,
Uninformed
And really rather
Crass;
I loved them.
But I under-rated them.
They were far less important than
The Job,
The Marriage,
The Children,
The Questions....
Was I Attractive
Or was I Hideous?
They were even less important
Than the next new Lipstick!
But now,
Now that I am old
And everything else is stepping-away from me,
Inexorably,
I have fallen in love with my thoughts all over again.
I roll them round the tongue of my brain
And they are delicious.
*
-----------------------------------------------------------------

NOT WAVING BUT DROWNING

Every day I see you on the train;
Every day I fall in love again.
Every day I smile and say 'Hallo';
Every day I hate to see you go.
Sometimes I try a small, impersonal grin,
Hoping for some rapport to begin!
Sometimes you simply turn your head away
Just when I've thought of something I could say!
Sometimes you're gazing at the passing scene;
I 'disappear' as though I'd never been!

Sometimes I try waving casually;
A lifting of the hand to you from me.

*
But I'm not waving, though I raise my hand.
And I'm not smiling, can't you understand?
I'm drowning, drowning, drowning in your eyes!
And every day a little of me dies!
*

5 comments:

Marbles in My Pocket said...

A very nice post. I enjoyed both poems.
http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/then-snared/

Maude Lynn said...

Both of these are just excellent!

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

stay creative,

well penned imaginations.
smiles.

Kay said...

"I roll them around the tongue of my brain and they are delicious" Oh, that was fantastic! Wow!

Anonymous said...

The first poem is beautiful, thanks for sharing.