Monday, December 12, 2011

Base Jump


The Wordle



SUNDAY WHIRL
asks us to use the 12 words in the Wordle

BASE-JUMP!

Of course, I'll never do it for derring-do is not for me;
I'm grounded and that's how I'm going to stay.
But the human mind can compensate for utter cowardice
And I am going to base-jump right away.
*
See how I stand on this building and grip the precipice;
Feel my heart beat with its terrified pulsations;
See me face the great enigma of elation mixed with fear;
See me feel the spasm of the mixed anticipations!
Now I gaze out at the elements and feel that I am one
With the spacious space that lies before me there!
And my rapid heartbeat throbs as my foot-hold is released
And launch myself into the icy air!
Now I'm aloft and flying! I am weightless! I am free!
The winds cut at my throat like broken glass!
The birds, the clouds, the sky itself are simply a swift blur
 As tumbling, whirling, rolling they all pass!
Now my parachute has opened; I drift down to the earth;
I am the master of the sky and air.
Mine is an experience that is daring and unique
Mine is a life that's dangerous and rare.
*
Except, of course, that it isn't! It's as humdrum as can be;
I exemplify great lack of motivation.
But, oh how very fortunate that cowards such as me
Can enjoy these things through their imagination!
*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STILL FLUTTERING

The Choir was performing, as it often does,
At a Home for the Elderly.
(I view the places more closely now.....
My destiny, maybe!)
The ladies sat around in chairs,
Propped up or half-asleep;
One or two in dreamland pose,
In a slumber very deep.
 But others alert and smiling
As though their lives were fun,
Even though it was very obvious
That their race was nearly run.
And I saw this work of art as it hung
On a side wall on display;
Butterflies cut-out by the ladies,
Butterflies at play.
And I thought of the life of a butterfly,
Which is very, very short
And, as I sang, I brooded on
A certain little thought.......
May I still flutter my wings a bit,
Or at least have a damned good try!
May I enjoy my last brief days,
As a brave little butterfly!
*


2 comments:

Traci B said...

I enjoyed and identified with both poems - the desire to take a big risk that I'll probably never experience, and the longing to live fully regardless of how long my time on earth might be. Well done. :)

Cheryl said...

A very good and imaginative story using the words. Bravo!