Sunday, December 18, 2011

Misguided


MAD KANE
supplied the first line

MISGUIDED

A woman was planning to back
A horse that they said was a hack
She said ' It's so sweet
Even with four left feet!
It will do very well on the track!'
*
-----------------------------------------------------

FALSE MOVE
(A response to twelve chosen words)

Dad kept an engine in the basement
Checking its performance every day.
He'd vanish down the stairs
To clean or do repairs,
He'd immerse himself in revs in every way.
*
I was not allowed in the basement;
My engineering know-how was too slight;
I didn't know the ropes,
Or how a mechanic copes.
In a hoarse voice Dad would tell me 'Not tonight!'
*
It isn't that I meant to be disloyal;
I knew that retribution would be swift
But when I squeezed in through the door
The engine toppled on the floor!
I left it there! It was too big to lift!
*

2 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

I love the limerick!

Kay L. Davies said...

Wonderful poems, Brenda. Your rhymes seem to come effortlessly, or at least they don't seem forced.
Love the ending to the engine poem, and the horse photo is hilarious.
K