Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lilibet

 
ONE SINGLE IMPRESSION
http://onesingleimpression.blogspot.com/

LILIBET

We were little girls together, Lilibet and I,
Living in the same country, under a rain-washed sky.
But she never knew about me, and why should she, for you see
I wasn't even aristocracy.
*
Her face was on the biscuit tins, with Princess Margaret Rose,
Both of them so pretty, striking a regal pose,
I'd think about those little girls, comparing them with me
For I wasn't even aristocracy.
*
Their lives seemed such a fairy-tale compared with other girls!
Their pretty dresses, smiling faces, and carefully brushed curls,
I used to wonder to myself how it could possibly be
That I wasn't like the aristocracy.
*
But Wealth and Crown have dwindled as objects of desire
For Health and Happiness, to me, now rank a great deal higher.
And I am quite contented with my lowly family-tree
And they're welcome to it.......aristocracy.
*

*
The present Queen Elizabeth  was called Lilibet when she was a child.
*

The perils of being a Queen here:
http://rinklyrimes.blogspot.com/2009/05/lady-jane-grey.html

4 comments:

Amity said...

Hi Brenda;

What a lovely poem on aristocracy!

I guess when we are not aristocrats, we wish to be one, but who knows they also wish to be lowly ones like us!

There's even a saying that runs this way and I quote: "it's lonely at the top"!

But who knows? I love being who I am Brenda like you do!

Happy mother's day again!

gautami tripathy said...

Loved this!

I too like being what I am.

rein in the ruined reign

one more believer said...

it is good to be happy just as we are

Tumblewords: said...

Isn't it amazing what a little aging will bring to your comfort level? This resonates so well.