Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tutu Tale!

Letter 'T'

TUTU TALE!

Could anything have more elegance! Could anything have more charm?
Is anything more inclined to dazzle, fascinate, disarm?
The ballerina's tutu is the emblem of the dance,
Made to complete the picture, should she point or leap or prance.
But why is it called 'tutu'? When you learn its history
You'll find the reason reaches to the depths of banality!
*
Marie Taglione, in 1832,
Wore the very first ballet skirt, when the art was only new.
Rather than reach down to the ground, like the fashion of the day,
The hem was above the ankle in quite a revealing way.
This was considered daring, but it was so created
To reveal the fancy footwork the crowd anticipated.
Undergarments were revealed , never viewed before,
And reasons were quite dubious when folk called out 'Encore!'
*

The cheaper seats were situated where the crowds still could not see
A full view of the dancer's feet, and her great ability.
And so they used to crane their necks and lean and twist and peer
Until the fancy footwork became absolutely clear.
Now peering under ladies' skirts was considered very rude;
And some remarks the patrons made were verging on the lewd.
The private parts of a baby girl are called 'cucu' in France
And now this word was used to name this aspect of the dance!
So shorter skirts were made so all the patrons had a view
Of the pirouettes and other things that ballet dancers do!
But the shorter skirts were dignified with row on row of tulle
So that footwork plus decorum at last became the rule.
*
But the vulgar name persisted, as it does right to this day!
Though they changed it into 'tutu' .... a much purer word to say!
Who would think a such a pretty word would have such a sordid past!
(I hope my ballet dancing friends aren't looking too aghast!)
*
------------------------------------------------------------------


ROAD TO RUIN
He was a simple peasant and his hearing wasn't good.
He could neither read nor write, but he did the best he could.
He set-up a stall by the roadside, selling this and that,
Tasty treats for passers-by who often stopped to chat.
He was always cheerful; his food was of the best;
His stall was decorated and the people were impressed.
He earned a steady income and all was going well.
People lined up for the tasty food that he was pleased to sell.
*
Now, his son was a modern fellow, and pretty brainy too.
He returned from University saying 'Dad, I've news for you.
You won't have heard about the banks and the awful state they're in.
Business is going down the drain! Where can I begin?
The world is in a bad way; everyone's going broke.
There's something called a Credit Crunch that's affecting working folk.
I advise you to go slow on things, preparing for the worst.
If I were you'd I'd cut-back on your decorations first.
Then buy the cheaper cuts of meat to make your little pies,
Pull in your horns and save a bit, that's what I'd advise.'
*
Well, of course, he was convincing and the father took great heed.
He set about economising, following his lead.
He started on a saving spree and he grew almost mean!
He fed himself so sparingly he grew quite pale and lean.
His stall began to look quite dull; his food grew tasteless too.
His face grew rather sad and drawn as he pondered what to do.
Bit by bit his customers began to search elsewhere
For a more cheerful seller and some better-quality fare.
*
Next time the son returned to him he found a sorry sight.
His father was dejected, quite distressing was his plight.
His little business was no more; his income was depleted.
He sat at home and mourned his fate, dejected and defeated.
'You warned me this would happen' he said to his visiting son.
'You said that I'd be ruined, along with everyone.
It's all come true the way you said. Now I'll be poor for ever.
But I'm lucky to have you, my son, because you are so clever!
You knew that this would happen, you told me in advance;
Fate has caused my downfall.
I never had a chance.'
*
----------------------------------------------------------------------
PS

This is my daughter's little dog, Banjo, as he was a few days ago. He wasn't expected to live! The bandage on his paw covers the catheter that was put in for blood transfusions. I'm pleased to report he's now eating and actually looking as though he'll pull through. He was bitten by a snake.
*

12 comments:

Sylvia K said...

First of all, I'm so glad Banjo is better! Always heartbreaking to lose a pet! Next, I love your "tutu" tale and I'm forwarding it to my daughter who danced with a ballet company for a number of years before she developed stress fractures in her feet. So, she had to settle for the tango, which I have pictured today. Hope your week is going well!

Sylvia

EG CameraGirl said...

Poor Banjo! I'm glad he's feeling better.

Fascinating about the tutu! I've never heard that tale before.

And your poem about the road to ruin? You tell stories very well!

Wanda said...

Very interesting. We have a dear friend who was just selected with the Ballerina Dance Troup. I'm sure she is wearing tutu's.

Linda said...

What a creative post.

Linda
ABC Wednesday Team

Roger Owen Green said...

wow, that tutu story IS sordid!
happy for the canine, tho.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Kay L. Davies said...

A lot of poesy today, Brenda. I'm always impressed, but today I'm impresseder.
Interesting about the tutu, and the influence of the young fellow over his father, but I am also most concerned about Banjo and hope he recovers, poor sweetie. Blood transfusions are pretty serious, and snake bites are very scary.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Hildred said...

Poems are wonderful Brenda, but my heart is with poor Banjo, - we live in rattlesnake country and have had experiences with pets being bitten and being very sick, although none of them fatally. I am so glad Banjo is recovering, and I shall never see a TUTU without thinking of your Tale. And I will Never give in to despair!

Gattina said...

very interesting your "tutu" story ! I never thought about from what came this expression.

Jae Rose said...

What a contrast between worlds in the two poems..looking at the pictures I think the long skirt is far more beautiful..get well wishes for poor little Banjo too! Jae

Vicki said...

I am so happy to her that Banjo is on the road to recovery! Pets are such a loving part of our families.

Thank you for such a wonderful, poetic tale of the tutu. It is perfect for the letter T.

Anonymous said...

Great to read of tutu !! I really did not know that :)

PS : I am hosting a challenge on my blog - Months of the year challenge Hope it inspires you :)

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Oh! I hope Banjo does pull through! He looks like such a sweetie.
OK, I did not know of the sordid past of the tutu! Being a ballet dancer and all, I guess I should, but never thought to research it!
Excellent!