Monday, December 6, 2010

Assignation.


MICROFICTION
http://www.stonyriver.ie/
supplied the illustration

ASSIGNATION!

'Same time? Same place?' said Cuthbert,
'Remember last Halloween?
I'll dance on your grave, you on mine!
You'll be my Dancing Queen!'
*
-----------------------------------------------------------------

 
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
'My World' but such a different one
From the one I enjoy today.
A world that has gone forever,
'The Past' in every way.
In this church I was christened,
It is here my father preached;
And only stone's throw over the hill
The 'Dunkirk' boats were beached.
For this was Wartime Britain
And soon came evacuation
Which changed my life for evermore
Beyond all imagination.
When last in Britain I visited
Old haunts, to pay respect,
But 'Holy Trinity' was no more!
Well, what did I expect?
Demolished for high-rises,
That was its destiny,
But at least one person remembers.
It's still part of 'my world' for me.
*

6 comments:

Jim said...

Hi Rinkly, this reminded me of a song we had in the States, "Big Yellow Taxi:"
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swingin' hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot

..

Margaret said...

Great Assignation - a twist on Dancing Queen!

I like your poem. Sad, but nothing stays the same.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Love the interesting combination of Halloween and Dancing Queen! A rather dark dance! And the second poem has a kind of hollowness, a sad beauty of yearning!

Cheryl said...

Enjoyed your 140. Nice juxtaposition.

I tried it this week: Irony.

EG CameraGirl said...

Such an interesting take on the gravestones...dancing on them.

How sad the church was demolished for high rises but it IS a sign of the times.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the assignation and the masterful poem :O)