Monday, December 13, 2010

The Smallest Tree


MONDAY'S CHILD
THE SMALLEST TREE

Once upon a time, in a great big wood,
A very little fir-tree stood.
All around the pines stretched high,
Almost up into the sky.
And, in between, were the middle-sized,
Whose pride just could not be disguised;
'We're just the right size for Christmas Trees,
We're green and pointy, sure to please;
Soon we'll end up in the local shops
And children will say we are the tops!'
And, sure enough, the very next day,
Men came and took those trees away.
The great big trees didn't seem to care;
They went on standing grandly there.
But the Little Fir Tree was broken-hearted,
Because the others had departed.
'I'm just no good to man nor beast!
No-one likes me in the least!
The terrible truth can't be disguised.....
I'm a tree that's undersized.'
Then voices rang through the forest glade
And what a welcome sound they made!
'Look for a small one, Daddy, do!
We've Xmas lights, but only a few!
We haven't any money to buy some more!
But Xmas is Xmas although we're poor!'
The Little Fir Tree stood still and straight!
It was going to happen! He could hardly wait!
And, sure enough, he heard the cries.....
'This one! This one! Its just the right size!'
And now it stands in a special spot
In a special room in a special pot,
Covered in lights and shining bright,
Ready and waiting for Xmas Night!

-----------------------------------------------------------

COLOUR CONSCIOUS! 
If I buy this linen set
Can I be sure that's all I'll get!
I asked for turquoise and that's fine
But the shop-assistant's out of line!
The floral motif's alright with me.
But oh that masculinity!
He takes my mind off linen-shopping.
What if that cushion started dropping!
Though the colour's quite appealing
I really have a funny feeling
That I wouldn't have a hope;
Indeed I know I couldn't cope
With that gorgeous teenage creature!
So manly in his every feature.
And one gets the odd sensation
That he plans a revelation!
This, my friends, is so disturbing
With great effort I am curbing
Thoughts and memories that surge
And with the thoughts of cushions merge!
Let me concentrate, I say,
On domestic things today!
Please don't add this great distraction,
All I want is satisfaction!
Sheets and pillows fill my mind,
But concentration's hard I find.
Although I'm very far from young
I'm known for being highly-strung!
I'm thinking, if you see me frown,
'Shall I choose turquoise or choose brown?'

*

6 comments:

Deborah said...

The Little Fir Tree stood still and straight!
It was going to happen! He could hardly wait!
And, sure enough, he heard the cries.....
'This one! This one! Its just the right size!'
And now it stands in a special spot
In a special room in a special pot,
Covered in lights and shining bright,
Ready and waiting for Xmas Night!

Aaww, I just LOVED this, that dear little tree I could almost feel his little chest all puffed up and proud :o)

Anonymous said...

There is place for everyone in this world; so glad the kids found the Smallest Tree and the ST found a home!

signed...bkm said...

Great story on the little tree that had so much to offer on Christmas night. We all want to shine our light to the world...no matter how big or small we are...blessings..bkm

Kodjo Deynoo said...

I see what you want for Christmas .lol

Margaret said...

Adored them both, but Colour Conscious really was amazing! Thanks for the laugh! I'm assuming your chose brown? :)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

sizes do not matter...
smart take.