Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Spotlight

RUBY TUESDAY
SPOTLIGHT
Everything is a toy to you when you are not quite four.
This light is meant to show the key the way to unlock the door
When it's dark at night and shadowy, and you're inclined to fumble
And maybe, a coming storm is on its way with a flash and rumble.
But for Max this is a toy, designed to make red noses.
Yes, when you're only not-quite-four everything comes up roses!
*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------


SHOPPED!

When Jake was at the Supermarket looking round the place,
A certain grey-haired lady started gazing at his face.
Along each aisle he met her; he'd look-up, she'd be there.
She was such a dear old lady, with her curly silver hair.
If he paused beside the frozen peas, he'd find her at his side,
And, by the bread, he noticed how she mopped her eyes and cried.
Her gaze seemed fixed upon him in a way that was intense.
And Jake felt quite uncomfortable; it didn't make much sense.
Suddenly, she clutched his arm and began to whisper low,
'I must tell you why I look at you; I feel you ought to know.
You remind me of my son, you see. He died quite recently.
He was the apple of my eye and meant so much to me.'
Jake felt so very sorry that he listened for a while,
Although the other shoppers found them blocking up the aisle.
'I've got to catch my bus now' the little old lady said,
' But you've made me feel much better about my son who's dead.
One more thing, would thrill me, though, if you felt that you could do it;
As I'm heading for the exit, you know, just as I get to it,
Could you call out 'Goodbye, Mum!' just as he used to do?
It would make me feel so happy to hear those words from you.'
Jake said that he would call out in the way that she recalled,
And he watched her reach the exit and 'Goodbye Mum!' he called.
Then he took up his one purchase and joined the line to pay,
Knowing that he'd only spent the minimum that day.
Imagine his surprise when 'Fifty Dollars!' was the bill!
He very quickly questioned the young man behind the till.
' There's only one item here for you' he heard the assistant say;
'All the rest is for your Mother!
She said you'd be glad to pay!'
*

15 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

Ha Ha Ha! oh my gosh I was so swept up in the lovely sadness of it all & then you made me laugh...
& how nice it must be to be four!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Oh I love it! The little one and his curiosity..so cute.
The second poem- you really had me going...I was ready for boo-hoos and then Wham! she got him... you took my emotions for a ride with this one. :~)

Jan n Jer said...

Love the pic, so cute. Your story made me laugh..you got me good!

Leora said...

Yeah, that light would make a great red nose, wouldn't it?

Vibhuti Bhandarkar said...

LOL, LOL, LOL!
What a scheming old, curly silver-haired lady. I can imagine how taken aback Jake should be.

And with X-mas coming up I could only thiink Max looks like Rudolph.

Such heartening poems!!! Lovely...:)

Liz said...

Haha. Love this shot!

Happy RT!

My RUBY links:
Moms... Check Nyo
Yummy-as-can-be

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

I love your post. LOL.

Lola said...

Hi again,

Such a witty (and with the red nose, so apt) poem! Enjoyed the second one immensely too! Really enjoy visiting your blog.

Happy RT!

XOXO Lola:)

EG CameraGirl said...

I liked both poems BUT the second one sure ended with a surprise! What a crafty little old lady she was! :)

Margaret Gosden said...

Such an angelic face has Max - and would not
terrorize anyone else's face with that spot light!
In one household I know, it is the cat that is the
victim!

Auntie E said...

Sinuses clear....LOL
My Ruby post."Christmas Town"

Kathe W. said...

cleverly sweet!
and thanks for your nice comments!

eileeninmd said...

Cute story and post. Love the cute boy with the red nose.

Ralph said...

Max has the cute and whimsical look of an imaginative and inventive little boy. His rosy nose and cheeks just highlight his adorable look...

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

Potluck week 12 awards/treats, Enjoy

Thank you a ton for the lovely contribution!
Happy Friday!
See you next time!