Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Stillness


ONE SINGLE IMPRESSION
http://onesingleimpression.blogspot.com/
suggested the prompt

THE STILLNESS
( The present snow in England)

The voice on the telephone
Sounded a world away.
Which it was.
'I'm looking out at the Channel' he said.
'Everything is quiet.
The roads are closed.
Everything is still'.
*
And I could see it,
 Remember it,
Re-paint the picture in my mind.
Snow by the  English Channel.
The snow of my childhood.
*
Snow makes the dark light
And the light dark.
The sky is leaden and solid.
The world is light, airy
And not of this world.
The sea draws a grey line
Between the two.
*
But it is the stillness
That I remember most.
The utter muffling
Of all sound.
A white deafness.
An enchantment.
*
Maybe I shall never see snow again.
But I shall remember it,
Whenever I am still.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
A POETRY OF PINES

Pines.
 The trees of Fairy Tale.
*
It was along paths such as this that
 Hansel and Gretel
Strewed their crumbs.
*
No doubt 
Little Red Riding Hood
Collected pine cones
To add to Grandmother's basket
From a such a path.
*
Goldilocks
Smelt the scent of resin
As she wandered along
On her way to meet
The Three Bears.
*
Hobgoblins, Elves,
And even Ogres
Have inhabited pine forests
In the North.
*
Pine Forests
Grow deep in our collective consciousness.
They permeate our Folk Lore.
*
Stand, alone,
In a pine forest.
Smell the scent,
Touch the bark,
Gaze upwards at the sky-piercing tree-tops.
Crunch the fallen needles
Under your feet.
*
And you will understand why.

10 comments:

Clint said...

Lovely poetry. Snow. Trees. Breeze. Sky. Stillness.

Thank you.

eyeography said...

Beautiful poems...
I love the poetry of pines more...

So many things you have described...

Hansel and Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks, Hobgoblins, Elves,
And even Ogres, all in the pine forest... :)

gautami tripathy said...

Wonderful imagery about snow. And I love the poetry of pines too..

dead woman and her stillnessin a cold december morning

TexWisGirl said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! God bless you, you world traveler and poet! :)

Bitch said...

Yes, I understand why..
Have a lovely Christmas!!
Greetings from far away
(Athens, Greece).
Monika

Pam said...

There is the total muffling of sound that breaks open as footsteps pass.

Anonymous said...

a moving measurement of time and life.

please have a good new week.

daily athens

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You certainly captured the stillness of the snow. I too find that stillness in a pine forest. One can see whatever one wishes there.

Geraldine said...

You've described stillness so beautifully. I loved every line and the photo was perfect.


http://mypoeticpath.wordpress.com/2010/12/21/the-miracle-of-the-season/

Marsha said...

I just found Poetry of the Pines. It's excellent. Your work is wonderful. Are you published (outside the blogosphere I mean)? what a gift you have. thanks.