Thursday, December 16, 2010

What I Want


WHAT I WANT

I want for nothing! What a claim!
There's nothing essential I can name!
I'm one of the world's most fortunate few;
In every hundred maybe one or two!
The earth is full of folk in need,
And I need nothing! Bliss, indeed.
I'm clothed, I'm fed, I'm free to speak;
I'm healthy, save for a minor creak!
I've a lovely family near at hand;
I live in a bounteous, kindly land.
I want for nothing! Not quite true.
I have two needs; yes, only two.
I find it hard to feel truly blessed
While millions and millions are repressed,
Hungry, homeless, not treated fairly,
Scraping a living, and that but barely.
As soon as I feel gratitude
For my cosy bed and tasty food
The vision of 'want' invades my mind.
I want what I have for humankind.
And the second 'want' applies to me.....
No big deal.......
Immortality!
*
------------------------------------------------------------------

FAIRY FALLACY

The rumble of the city, the concrete and the tar,
The chatter of the passers-by, the roar of coach and car.
Yet something straight from Fairyland is there before our eyes.
Surely fairy castles seem to rise.
*
It could be just the railway station roofs  just to my right,
But fairies live in shadow-land, usually out of sight.
Place flags upon the turrets, let elfin trumpets sound!
The Fairyland of childhood has been found!
*
(Unfortunately, it's about to be shattered by a car!
Oh well! Just put up with it! You know what humans are!)

*

1 comment:

gautami tripathy said...

YOur want poem touchedmy heart!

Merry Christmas to you and you
family!! May your muse be always with you.

dead woman and her wants