Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dear Santa


CARRY ON TUESDAY
http://carryontuesdayprompt.blogspot.com/2010/12/carry-on-christmas.html
The words in blue are the first words of a child's Xmas letter.

DEAR SANTA

Dear Santa, find room in your sack
To bring my darling Daddy back!
Mummy says a war began
In somewhere called Afghanistan.
We've put Daddy's present by the tree
And he should open it with me!
You're magic, Santa, so I know
You could  could fly through all that snow
On that very clever sleigh
And bring him here for Xmas Day!
Daddy could hang on at the back
If there's no room in your sack!
Mummy's going to sign her name,
Because she's feeling just the same.
*

---------------------------------------------------

With my sister, Mollee, on the left.

IN MEMORY

My father and I were never close
He was a deeply religious man
And I was a frivolous disappointment.
A disappointment that was never hidden.
*
We found it difficult to converse at times.
I was my mother's daughter.
*
My father died
When I was heavily pregnant and in Africa.
*
I sent flowers.
I felt sad.
I knew something momentous had occurred.
But the purchase of a headstone
Never entered my mind.
*
Years later, 
On holiday in England,
I went to visit his grave
With my cousin.
We could not find it!
*
The graveyard was unkempt,
Uncared-for.
My conscience smote me.
*
On my return to Australia
I dedicated a stone to his memory
In the Newcastle Cathedral grounds.
*
He would have been pleased.
*
He would be pleased
With this poem too.
*

12 comments:

Tracey said...

Wow! All of that was SO beautiful.I don't doubt your dad would be very proud :-)

Jane said...

I love both your poems here. Very beautiful and as always, well written.

Jane

Clint said...

I love your poetry and sentiments---and the fact that you so freely speak of your emotions and feelings. I love your blog and am now a follower. You are invited to follow mine. God bless.

eyeography said...

Oh! what a cute Santa poem... :)

Old memories..thanks for sharing them in such a great way...
he would have definitely loved this poem and all your poems too :)

TexWisGirl said...

Awww. So sweet.

Flying Monkey said...

Very serious, thoughtful poems this week. I loved them both.

George S Batty said...

I have a hunch he would please with you in avery way. Your poem is a great tribute to him.

Dear Santa was awesome. I like to way you took the prompt.

keiths ramblings said...

Both of your pieces are very moving in different ways.Delightful.

Gemma Wiseman said...

The division of war can never divide the family spirit! The first poem is beautifully narrated through a child's eyes!

And your second poem could almost be my story. Just substitute your word "father" with "mother" and there is my story.

Great poems!

Kodjo Deynoo said...

Your first line got me

faith said...

May God comfort all those who are missing their fathers this Christmas! Wonderful poems, both. Thanks for sharing your memories. Have a wonderful week! :)

Someone is Special said...

Sweet and beautiful..

dear santa

--Someone is Special--