Friday, November 6, 2009

Thanksgiving 1935

                             Doris Lee, 1935


THANKSGIVING 1935
(An Acrostic)
The air of celebration is something we all feel.
Healthy appetites await a very special meal.
America gives thanks for all its bounty in the past,
No-one has the slightest urge to turn away and fast!
Kitchens all across the land are full of fuss and flurry.
Sisters, mothers, grandmas too are in an awful hurry.
Gravy needing stirring, likewise apple sauce.
Interesting items planned for each and every course!
Vegetables cooked and ready! Someone drain them, please!
Impatience is a virtue on busy days like these!
Not a sign of menfolk! They don't even deign to look!
G
et a move on, gentle-men! It's time you learned to cook!

*

The same theme here:
http://rinklyrimes.blogspot.com/2009/01/279-humming-birds.html

4 comments:

D said...

Brenda, thank you for your comment on SkyWatch, otherwise I might not have discovered your site.

Indeed, I am enjoying your poetry!
Diana

Bogey said...

I like this one very much. It reminds me of the picture of my Grandmother holding aloft the Turkey.

Michael said...

I always forget waht these things are called. Acrostic, that's right. Clever!!

BTW, thanks for coming over to my blog. Nice to meet you. Wasn't sure which blog of yours to visit. Oh, and far as the Xmas tea goes--remember, it's a virtual tea party so veing in Australia shouldn't stop you. Baino's coming and she's from there too, Sydney, in fact.

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

This is wonderful. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days!