Sunday, May 17, 2009

Shadow Shapes

Just a typical Australian suburban street today!


But a special 'Shadow' poem written for a special birthday!
SHADOW SHOT SUNDAY
is a year old today!

SHADOW SHAPES

The shape of a shell
I know very well
And I know the shape of a shark.
The shape of a shoe
Is easy to do;
I could draw one in the dark.
The shape of a shed
I have in my head
And I know the shape of a shawl.
But don't ask me the shape of a shadow!
It's just any shape at all!


A shadow can be
The shape of a tree;
It can be the shape of a sheet.
The shape of a shirt
The shape of a skirt
Or the shop that we pass in the street.
And shadows are found
That are square, that are round,
That are pale, that are dark, that are tall!
So don't ask me the shape of a shadow!
It's just any shape at all!


A shadow is thin,
As thin as a pin,
Or it's fat like a big woolly sheep!
A shadow  may shake
When it falls on a lake,
Or shade us when are asleep. 
A shadow can lie
On a ship passing by
Or go climbing all over a wall.
But don't ask me the shape of a shadow!
It's just any shape at all!


My first Shadow Shot here:


7 comments:

Margaret Gosden said...

Neat shadows. I enlarged the picture - those trees look ancient compared to the shaped hedge in the foreground. A lovely quiet street where one might skip on and off the shadows to break the monotony of walking.

Dianne said...

beautiful street
beautiful poem

Raven said...

Nice shadow shot and the poem is delightful. I enjoyed your Disconnect Connected up above. Times really have changed, haven't they!

Hey Harriet said...

Lovely suburban shadows! I always enjoy your reading your poems, and your 'Shadow Shapes' one today is my most favourite of all so far!!! Hope you have a great week ahead :)

storyteller's other blog said...

Lovely neighborhood shadow image and wonderful poetic response. You make me want to spend more time writing all kinds of poetry again ... just because.
Hugs and blessings,

RAJI MUTHUKRISHNAN said...

A neat photograph - I am always amazed at how you find poetry in ordinary things.

Durward Discussion said...

A Neighborhood of sun and shadow. Very well done.