Thursday, May 28, 2009

Northern Lights




NORTHERN LIGHTS

Way up North where Santa lives
And magic is everywhere;
Where snow and ice
Have to suffice
And frigidity fills the air,
There's a little machine
That few have seen
It works on winter nights.
It rolls and churns
And spins and turns
And creates the Northern Lights!
And here is an illustration
That captures this wondrous thing.
Can't you see the swirls
And ripples and curls
Of the manufacturing?
From the heart of this wondrous motor
See the ribbons of light go forth!
Soon they will fly
Up to the sky
And entrance the folk up North.
Like magic they'll flow and flutter,
Like magic they'll swoop and spread,
And the rich dark night
Will be filled with light
Dancing up overhead!




Another piece of sky-whimsy here:

20 comments:

Patty said...

Very nice poem and lovely photo. I haven't seen the Northern lights for years now. I can remember when I was a child, we would sometimes see the sky to the North, flickering the different colors.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Very nice! :-)

Nessa said...

Your poem makes me think of The Golden Compass stories.

Tumblewords: said...

How nice to see that you wrote a charming and lovely poem based on a fractal on my blog! That's so special! Thank you!

Mari Meehan said...

You and Sue make a good pair!

Kat said...

Truly whimsicalism..!!! A blend of colour and rhyme.

Anonymous said...

I like the photo and the poem. Very nice! Makes me feel whimsical. ;-)

Paz

George S Batty said...

Old Grizz and Old Grizz's cousin Bartolome and good friend "sneaky snake" love this poem and we are wondering if there are any more of the wild machines for sale.

Lilibeth said...

So do the Northern Lights look like the bottom picture. I've never seen them. Cute little poem.

Carina said...

A magical little poem. Lovely!

Short Poems said...

Wow nice verses..just so original and beautiful :)

Marinela

Anonymous said...

Truly magical !
I have never seen it and don't know if i ever will :(
Thanks for the pic :)

Elisha said...

This poem has a great natural rythym, I like all those little rhymed couplets; it makes it feel very whimisical. Great Job.

Stan Ski said...

Now I believe...

Chapter Forty said...

Love this piece. Well done you.
C.F.

linda may said...

I love your work Brenda. I once saw the aurora australis years ago. Very rare and I was entranced.

Dee Martin said...

Wonderful poem, I wish a machine like that really existed!

keiths ramblings said...

Another winner! Your words and the picture are just perfect.

one more believer said...

i could not help but to smile reading your post and when i saw the fractal i was wondering is that tumblewords? how can one deny the beauty of the northern lights...

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Definite alchemy. Wish we got some southern lights down here too.