Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fickle Fame!

The Blue Boy
The Pink Boy
Gainsborough

Oh the fickleness of Fame!
One who's always made a claim.
His picture's one we all can name:
The Blue Boy.
He stands there in his fancy dress.
At his thoughts we only guess,
I think he's under some duress!
The Blue Boy.
His face, I think, looks rather grim!
His hat he's clutching by the brim.
Yet what a future waits for him!
The Blue Boy.
His face will feature everywhere;
People will view this art and stare.
And we must wonder if it's fair;
The Blue Boy
*.
For, underneath, please view the other!
Maybe he was a younger brother.
Maybe we should ask his mother!
The Pink Boy.
He looks a so much sweeter child,
Almost girlish, meek and mild.
Yet he wont drive the public wild;
The Pink Boy.
He'll languish on a hidden wall,
And not get much acclaim at all,
Does he view this with some gall,
The Pink Boy?
I rather like his languid pose.
I rather like his rosy clothes,
And it's a shame that no-one knows 
The Pink Boy!
Gainsborough! Won't you please explain
Why he was treated with disdain!
(I think I'll look at him again!)
The Pink Boy!
Another comment on art critics here:

4 comments:

Darlene said...

While I love Gainsborough's paintings I have never cared for Blue Boy. I think the boy was tired of posing and was not a happy subject. I do love his girl, Pinkie (I think that's the name) and I have a print of a woman he painted and she is quite elegant, but I can't identify the subject.

L.Holm said...

Hurray for the underdog pink boys and may the gods save us from the gatekeepers--internal and otherwise. Well said, both poems.

Happily Retired Gal said...

Utterly delightful ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Kat said...

Girls are known to like Pink and Rose...

No wonder the Pink boy has come out in flying colours :))))