Sunday, May 17, 2009

Before and After!

                                         Elizabeth (About New York)


In response to
EASY STREET PROMPTS
http://easystreetprompts.blogspot.com/2009/05/prompt-543-before-and-after.html
idea and illustration.


BEFORE AND AFTER!

Of course I look disdainful! It's quite true!
I'm stuck here for the passing world to view!
I looked so gorgeous only yesterday!
And now I'm treated in this awful way.
My cheekbones still look good, likewise my hair;
And my expression, still, is nose-in-air.
But they have dressed me in a paper bag!
Like any other old, discarded hag!
I, who looked so very smooth and svelte!
They've got me really right below the belt!
Except that belts are missing, likewise darts!
I look the same as all the other tarts!
I, who have worn the very latest fashions,
Have suddenly been put on meagre rations.
Yves Saint Laurent was quite my top designer,
In his confections I looked ever finer.
The swathes, the swirls, the clinching and the flow,
I was a clothes-horse, I was such a pro!
This paper 'thing' just hasn't any shape!
It's fastened at the back with sticky-tape!
The length is wrong! It's barely to my knees!
It's winter and I know I'm going to freeze!
But pity poor Minette! Her plight is oddest!
In fact it's verging on the quite immodest.
To seat her in that pose looks really shocking
Invites the passers-by to be more mocking!
And, worst of all, they've written on us 'SALE!'
Which puts us one and all beyond the pale.
Next thing they'll cart us off down to the tip!


But at least I've got a good 'stiff upper lip!'


Another poem for the fashion-conscious here:

2 comments:

Dee Martin said...

hehe, the sad thing is that the paper bags look better than some of the fashion right now :)

You made me grin!

Kat said...

The attendent to those models would've read with dismay...
That a poem was composed and published, by the time he changed their dress :)))))