Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sensational?


 

SUNDAY SCRIBBLINGS

SENSATIONAL?

Sensational? I think not!
What! Some knitted socks!
They're not the type of article
To give one thrills and shocks!
Do they overpower the senses?
Do they make one gasp and reel?
Do they make your hair stand up on end
Or let out a girlish squeal?
Well, maybe the latter,
If you're heavily into knitting,
And you get a frisson of delight
When a sock is merely fitting.
Language can be so debased.
I'm sure these socks are clever,
Neat and warm and well-designed
But 'sensational'? Never!
The patterns look delightful,
And very hard to knit,
My husband would rejoice in them,
But that is about it.
As to overwhelming feelings
Of exquisite ecstasy......
They are not  sensational.
'It's 'Very Nice' for me
Though I must confess my muted words
On the cover of a book
Might not have been a selling-point,
Or earned a second look.
*

---------------------------------------------------------------


ANYTHING YOU CAN DO!
(Sing to the tune of the 'Annie Get Your Gun' song!)

Anything that is white, I can be whiter!
I can be whiter than anything here!
Than the snow!
That is so!
Than a pearl?
Atta girl!
I'm the whitest of all that is clear!
*
Anything that is black, I can be blacker!
I can be blacker than all that you see.
Than a coal?
Bless my soul!
Than some tar?
There you are!
Though I'm only a shadowy tree!
*

2 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

I have a cousin (some years younger than I am) who loves to knit, but she is the only person I know who might consider these socks sensational.
Fun to imagine the tree singing "Yes I can, yes I can, yes I can"!!
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

author.nara.malone said...

I love your sense of humor. I do remember a couple of times, days when I had endured hours of cold and wet, that coming home and slipping on a nice warm pair of thick socks was a sensational experience.