Saturday, September 17, 2011

Immortality


IMAGINARY GARDEN
gave us this meme

IMMORTALITY

I suppose I'll die as all things must,
But I couldn't bear to be turned to dust!
Lesser mortals than glorious me
Suffer that indignity.
When they die they are forgotten,
Which I think must be simply rotten.
I'm so special, so unique!
They're so cowed, so dull, so meek.
They deserve to disappear
For they can be described as 'mere'.
Whereas, with me, it's a different story.
I must be preserved in all my glory.
Goldsmiths must fashion me in gold,
So that, as I'm growing old,
I can be comforted by the thought
That I will never come to nought.
My image will live for evermore
As something to honour and adore.
The hoi poloi will spend their days
Heaping upon me love and praise.
In the future folk will guess
That I was a person of specialness.
Luckily, I'll never rust.
*
But, drat it all, here comes the dust!
*

---------------------------------------------------
                     Brenda Bryant

FISHING FLEET

Muted, immobile, the fishing boats wait.
The silence shattered by
Creak, splash, bump, rattle..... that maritime background music.
*

5 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Laughed so much about "lesser mortals than glorious me" and "a person of specialness" — I love your use of the English language, Brenda. Some people don't know there are rules. You know there are, of course, but you just don't let them get in the way. I love it.
Your "Fishing Fleet" is wonderful. I've always had a fondness for fishing boats, so the first line is poignant, and the next two are delightful.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Kerry O'Connor said...

This poem speaks directly to the hubris that not one of us can easily escape and your wry wit has brought it all home in a giggle-ouch! kind of way.

Thanks for joining in the fun on Real Toads.

Abin Chakraborty said...

very enjoyable.loved the comic spirit :)

Unknown said...

superb....


You’ve got superb talent in creative writing,
Keep it up.

Please check out short story slam week 10 prompt today.

It is great to write and entertain our children,
Don’t you agree?

Give it a try,
Let your beautiful imagination fly.

Best.
Happy Autumn!
xoxox

Titus said...

I laughed, and I love your rhythm!