Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Arrival


POETRY BLOGROLL
supplied the illustration

ARRIVAL

I'd arrived
On the late flight from Amsterdam;
Cold, tired, hungry,
But, most of all,
Longing to meet you.
I rehearsed it all on the plane.
First, the long run down the escalator.
(Who would wait to be carried
On such a journey?)
Then the quick leap into
Your waiting arms.
The breathless kiss,
The whispered endearments,
The ride home on the bus;
The arrival at your flat;
The welcome, welcome, welcome
Home.
*
I got the text message
As soon as I arrived......
'It's all over.....
Met someone else.....
Let's stay friends.....
Thanks for everything.'
*
I stood still,
As life whirled on around me.......
*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SLOW DOWN!

Life used to be unending
It stretched on and on and on!
I couldn't see the end of it!
But now it's nearly gone!
When I think how years have passed
In the twinkling of an eye
It seems to me, amazing
That they positively fly!
Christmases, as I recall,
Were a million years apart,
And now one ends and, straight away,
Another seems to start!
Last Wednesday merges with the one
That's seven days ahead!
No sooner do I wake at dawn
Than I'm heading for my bed!
Slow down, slow down, I beg of you!
Please put on the brake!
I'm hurtling straight for the abyss!
Slow down for goodness sake!
*

3 comments:

The Unknowngnome said...

I enjoyed both of these poems and I certainly can relate to "Slow Down". :)

Aiza said...

Tragic. Melancholic.

Unknown said...

Breaking up by text,
SO not okay.
But I suppose it is the clearest verification that it wasn't the relationship she wanted.