Monday, September 26, 2011

Nevermore!


MAGPIE TALES
http://magpietales.blogspot.com/2011/09/mag-84.html
supplied the illustration

NEVERMORE!


If I were Edgar Allan Poe
Returned again to this earth below
I'd cast my eyes on this illustration
And let out a massive exclamation.....
'We must call it 'Nevermore!
I've used the word with success before!
It captures that feeling of hopeless love
Which I was frequently speaking of!
There's also a raven! A craven bird
Who frequently uttered my favourite word!
Look! I see a Plutonian Shore!
I like this picture more and more!
Yes! I like it! It tries to capture
My poetic theme of desperate rapture.'
Thus would he speak and, gratified,
He'd depart to the Other Side.
*
Back into the Tempest
An illustration from the era.

A quote from E.A.P himself!

Then this ebony bird beguiling 
My sad fancy into smiling
 By the grave and stern decorum 
Of the countenance it wore.
   "Though thy crest be shorn and shaven,
 Thou," I said, "art sure no  craven,
   Ghastly grim and ancient raven
Wandering from the Nightly shore-
  Tell me what thy lordly name is
 On the Night's Plutonian shore!"
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."
*
---------------------------------------------



WINTER-RAIN CREEK.

A creek-bed, soon to be dry.
Sympathising trees bow low in farewell.
And, on an unseen bridge, people watching and waiting.
*

11 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Aha, I used a Poe reference, too, Brenda.
Yours is much better, however.
I've seen plenty of dry creek-beds in my life, too. I love the line about the sympathising trees.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Just wonderful!

Isabel Doyle said...

Desperately rapturous lines

Suz said...

ah...a bit of Poe in the morning
loved this charming poem

Mystic_Mom said...

:-D great stuff! Lots to love here...and I loved it all!

Helen said...

Love the Poe angle .....

Martin said...

Poe would have been proud.

Reflections said...

Great touch of Poe...

and your Winter-Rain Creek is gorgeous!

Dave King said...

And reading the poem again, I like IT more!

earlybird said...

Brillliant.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Agree - brilliant.

Anna :o]