Thursday, September 22, 2011

Flustered


WHAT'S MY QUESTION WEDNESDAY
'What was your first job?'

FLUSTERED

I was at Training College,
Learning how to teach,
And, in my summer holiday,
I went down to the beach.
There was a little cafe there
Right by the bowling green
And next-door to the tennis courts.
Quite a busy scene!
Most of the time it was quiet,
But all games come to an end,
And, when they did, the screaming hordes
Would suddenly descend!
Coffee white and coffee black,
Sandwiches, all sorts;
Ice-cream, bags of chips and such....
This was just from the tennis courts!
At the same time bowlers would bowl in,
Begging me to hurry;
Everyone asking for different things! 
It really was a worry!
But it was the change that stymied me!
I just couldn't get it right!
I grew more and more flustered
As they cried 'We'll be here all night!'
And, worst of all, was the sneering
Because I couldn't cope;
'Did you say that you intend to teach!
Good God, you haven't a hope!'
I truly hated the customers
And the insults that were hurled,
And it's made me really sympathise
With the waitresses of this world.
*

----------------------------------------------------------------------

DALAI CHARMER

Here is a famous person, a very genial fellow,
Dressed in his traditional robes of richest red and yellow.

Mine is a surface knowledge, mainly from TV,
But the Dalai Lama's a kindly man, or so he seems to me.
And I find I'm constantly marvelling at the fact that he came to power
Just because he was born somewhere at exactly the right hour!
To think one plunged into world-wide fame, without qualifications,
Can handle himself so very well in difficult situations!
He always has a smiling face, he always has a quip,
He keeps his calm at all times and never loses his grip!
I call him The Dalai Charmer, a trivial term, I agree.
But the Dalai Lama's a kindly man or so he seems to me.

*


No comments: