Saturday, January 17, 2009

273. That Wasabi Word!

There are new photos on my PLUS blog.

A request.

Cis, a fellow-blogger, wrote to me telling me of her fascination with the word 'Wasabi'. I had vaguely heard of it but I had no idea what it was. Now Google has come to my aid and I know that it is not for me.

So here is the requested poem, Cis. Enjoy it AND your Wasabi!




(By the way, I welcome ideas for poems.)
THAT WASABI WORD!


What on earth is 'Wasabi?' That was my reaction!
Cis says it's the sound of it that adds to its attraction.
She likes to drag the vowels out and use a lower tone;
It must give people quite a shock when she says it on the phone!
So I tried saying 'Wasabi' but in my British voice
It sounded pretty 'ornery' and not my word of choice.
(However, I had a cousin who walked around all day
Saying 'Acme Wringer', another odd thing to say!)
But what on earth was 'Wasabi?' Again I asked the question.
And now I know I feel that it could cause me indigestion!
I found a recipe that's called 'Firecracker Salad'. Yes!
The writer of the recipe has a fire-proof tongue I guess!
He introduces it like this, with 'BAM!' all upper-case!
The very word makes my poor heart beat at a faster pace!
Then he says 'Clear your sinuses with this tasty little treat!'
(So it seems that it's medicinal and not just nice to eat!)
He then describes the runny eyes, the nose that's turning red!
I'm starting to look on Wasabi as something I should dread!
Anyway, the recipe is just potato salad,
Not anything exotic that deserves a bounteous ballad!
Potatoes cooked, potatoes chopped, some onion, quite ho-hum;
It seems this Firecracker Salad is as boring as they come.
Green pepper? OK! Add a bit but it's still not cordon bleu!
I thought a Firecracker Salad might cause something of a stir!
Aha! Here comes the burning bit, the taste to cause a blaze!
'Mix it all with lashings of Wasabi Mayonnaise!'
Mayonnaise with Wasabi Powder! He didn't give proportions;
But I think recipes like this should come supplied with cautions!
His final phrase, an understatement, as I'm sure he knows,
Says 'It does pack a little heat!' Crikey! Stone the crows!
Now I'm the sort of lady who likes her cooking mild;
If I add some Soy Sauce I feel I'm pretty wild!
Horse Radish is beyond the pale; it's really much too hot,
So, when it comes to Wasabi, what hope have I got?
I don't much want to chant it, as for eating it, no way!
Cis, dear Blogger, it's all yours!
I've nothing more to say!

2 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

It is to some Asian cuisines what a Habanero would be to Mexican! HOT!

Word Tosser said...

That sound you would hear is my hands clapping in great applauds. Thank you, for the poem, it is great...but then I would not expect anything else from you.
I bend in bow, and a tip of the hat... Thank you, dear Rinkly Rimes