Monday, August 22, 2011

Wheel Appeal




MAGPIE TALES
supplied the vintage illustration

WHEEL APPEAL
(A Very Short Story)

Tom and I met a couple of twins
Josephine and Alice;
He's a chap who always wins 
(Said without any malice.)
But I was the man with a set of wheels,
So Tom became the spectator.
Despite his anger and appeals,
I shouted out 'See you later!'
*
----------------------------------------------------------------------

THE EFFECT
Was Van Gogh short-sighted? I'd really like to know.
His 'Starry Night' reminds me of the way I saw the glow
Before my sight was rectified by a cataract operation,
When stars, for me, were always a fuzzy illumination!
I always thought great blossoms filled up the midnight sky
For everybody else as well.......crysanthemums on high!
I now see stars as pinpricks, sharp etchings on the dark,
Not hazy balls of brilliance surrounding a central spark!
But when I see this painting I feel a certain pain.
That beauty's gone for ever, it will never be mine again.
Did the artist just imagine this? It does intrigue me so.
Was Van Gogh short-sighted? I'd really like to know.
*

15 comments:

Berowne said...

Good Rimes, Rinkly style.k:-)

Tess Kincaid said...

I thought they looked like twins, too.

Sue J said...

Wheels wins, hands down :)

Heather Foust said...

I read your profile and you have lived quite an interesting life I should say. I am not sure if Van Gogh was nearsighted. Have you ever seen the painting that Monet did of the bridge and then he did it a decade later and it was a pool of mud. He was going blind. It was in the Philadelphia Museum. Quite interesting. Nice to meet you!

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Nice verse! I don't know about Van Gogh, but hubby Mark tells me that Monet's impressionistic works were a direct result of extreme nearsightedness.

Jinksy said...

A wheeler dealer, eh? LOL

izzy said...

Good one! the owner of the wwwwheeeelz-!

Erratic Thoughts said...

What an appeal!:D
Wheels work,really :)

Nice Magpie!

Brian Miller said...

and wheels make all the differnce in the world...your loss tom...

Helen said...

Both poems ... hit the mark!

Martin said...

A thorn between two roses?

Helena said...

I wheely liked both of these....!

WyomingDiva said...

There's always someone left behind, isn't there? Amusing!

Deborah said...

Great, I loved it!

Peggy said...

Fun take on this prompt picture!