Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Squeamish



THREE WORD WEDNESDAY
'appear, dose, pierce'



SQUEAMISH

I'm glad I live in modern times;
I can't take too much pain.
If I'm asked to grit my teeth
It goes against the grain.
Approach me with a needle
And I go slightly pale
As though I'm being threatened
With a vicious rusty nail!
I demand to be unconscious
When nasty things are done,
And I've a strong suspicion
That I'm not the only one.
How awful to have lived in times
When pain was just the norm,
Only partially deadened
By a whiff of chloroform!
Imagine all the terror,
All the anguish and the fear,
As the surgeon in his white coat
Decided to appear!
Imagine how he'd pierce you,
And how the blood would flow.
Imagine yourself screaming
'No, no, no, no, no, no!'
He might dose you up with whiskey,
But would that be successful?
The ghastly operation
Would have been so very stressful!
So, next time you're complaining
About the sins of modernity,
Remember how science saves us
From old fashioned surgery.
*
-----------------------------------------------------------------

RED SKY AT MORNING

First light of dawn; what sort of day?
Will we feel glad tonight?
Here comes the next act of the play
We hope it all comes right.
When I was young 'red sky at morning'
(A phrase I can't forget)
Sent to us an awful warning!
The day would turn out wet.
The dove-grey clouds presage the rain
Each flower lifts up its head
Rain will refresh them once again,
So welcome the morning red!
*

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

Charming, well-done and oh so true.
Love the sweet lyrical quality.

Sheilagh Lee said...

I love both of these . So true that you should be grateful for advances in surgery

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

You are so right about the pain. Well done! laurie

Angel said...

I really enjoyed this piece. We really have came a long way in some respects, only to stay behind in others.

TodBryant said...

Love it!