Friday, August 26, 2011

The Renovators


BOOK BLURB FRIDAY
http://www.writinginthebuff.net/2011/08/book-blurb-friday-26-dangerous-game.html
supplied the illustration

Read this blurb and see if you would read the book!

THE RENOVATORS
by
Cynthia McDougal-Smollet

They both chance upon the self-same derelict house at the same time.
But he is a young student!
And she is a hard-bitten career-woman of a.....mature age.
Zack and Evangeline find love 'among the ruins'.
Will public scorn ruin their lives?
Rumours of bigamy and infanticide lurk.
A tangle of relationships points to forbidden love!
What exactly is Evangeline's dark secret? 
Can Zak trust her birth-certificate?

Interwoven into this delicious tale of 'cougar' love are many hints for the renovator.
During the most intimate exchanges one or other of the lovers will break-off
to discuss a cornice or a lintel.
This makes for exciting reading.

The Real-Estate Quarterly: Turn that hopeless hovel into a love-nest with the help of this 
'How-To Manual' of lust and renovation.
*


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




MUTED

Subtlety marks the colours of the bush,
The Australian bush, where colours are so muted.
Rarely do we see a really vivid sparkling shade;
Vividness is, by the sun, diluted.
At first I missed the glories of the English countryside,
The hundred thousand greens, with red shot through,
And still I sometimes feel a stab of something like regret
That I traded-in old beauty for the new.
But I've grown to love the subtleties of eucalyptus trees,
And the beauty of the bark is plain to see,
And the outline of the branches against constant brilliant blue
Is very nearly good enough for me.
And here, where trees hang low above a little hidden pool,
And the bell-birds fill the air with joyful sound,
I enjoy a different beauty, full of ancient atmosphere,
And I'm thankful for the new joy that I've found.
*

7 comments:

Sandra Davies said...

Never mind the hint of lintels - I'll go for the lust!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Oh, my gosh, you packed it all in ... even infanticide? This sounds like a great book; tips of all sorts would surely be worth the purchase price. I love your Australian portion of this post too.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kathy M.

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, Brenda, your book blurb made me laugh so much I couldn't even read the next part of your post. Love among the lintels. And the "quote" from a Real Estate Quarterly. Fabulous!
There. I stopped laughing and read "Muted". It's beautiful. I love it going from "very nearly good enough" to "thankful for the new joy".
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Bookie said...

A cougar story! Love relationship stories...this one sounds great.

Grandma's Goulash said...

You had me enthralled until I reached the cornices! I'll remember this one when I'm ready for some DYI. A fun blurb.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Your blurb cracked me up! What a pairing...Good Housekeeping meets Harlequin. LOL Love it!

Tammy said...

Who can resist cougar love and Cornice Interuptus?!! Sure wish I could feel so passionate about home renovations. That is some juicy reading for sure. Thanks for the giggles.