Sunday, August 21, 2011

Promises, Promises





GRANDMA'S GOULASH
supplied the illustration

PROMISES, PROMISES

I was a British War Bride,
And I married a fine G.I.
And then we left for America,
The Land of the Apple Pie.
He promised me the earth
But when we got to his shack,
I looked in through the window
And saw his mother looking back!
A pale and sickly creature,
She gave me such a look!
And what did my lover say to me.......
'Mother says she hopes you cook'.

*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES

The bane of my life is cigarette smoke; I really can't abide it!
I only took one puff in my teens and regretted that I'd tried it!
The acrid smoke got in my throat and made me wheeze and choke;
While my eyes were red and streaming because of the awful smoke!
I bathed them in tepid water, but I couldn't ease the ache!
And I wondered 'Why does anyone ever smoke, for goodness sake!'
So I haven't smoked for sixty years! And that really makes me glad!
Why should anybody smoke? I think they must be mad!
If it's nasty when you start and it kills you in the end,
It seems that everybody should try to buck the trend.
*

9 comments:

SparkleFarkel said...

Good golly, I hope the British war bride's married name wasn't Bates! (<--cLiCkY-cLiCkY!)

This take was, dare I say it? BOOtiful!

Sonia Lal said...

LOL Funny take on the pic! Made me laugh

Pat said...

What a shock, yet funny, too! I'd politely suggest they look for their own place.

Monica Manning said...

I hope the bride burns every meal!

I can relate to the smoking. I was seven years old when I tried my first cigarette. My best friend stole her father's Export As . Unfiltered. I thought I was dying. I, too, wondered why anyone wanted to do this. And still do.

Helen said...

Oh poor girl - did she catch the first boat back home!

Susan Fobes said...

I think I would look for an exit clause-LOL! And I always wondered about smoking too-my dad did it for years when I was little before quitting. (He blames the habit on the army...)

Grandma's Goulash said...

Hope that poor girl headed for the Atlantic and started swimming. :D As always, your rhymes make me smile.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

You MF cracked me up. Very funny! And I agree with you about the smoke. I grew up in a household where everyone (except me) smoked and I used to detest the smell in my hair and clothes. Ugh! My parents both died of illnesses related to their smoking habit...so sad for all of us.

Akelamalu said...

Oh crikey it was too late for her wasn't it already having married him. :(