Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Genetic Misfit


ABC WEDNESDAY

Oh woe is me! I am recessive. Soon to disappear from the scene.
For I'm a walking, talking, living, breathing but truly recessive gene.
I look like a human-being, but that is just an act;
Nature hasn't thought me worth preserving. Isn't that a sorry fact.
I am the mother of two children, but they don't resemble me.
I remember giving birth to them, but there's no similarity.
Nature has found me wanting. I'll disappear without a trace.
No-one will ever say, fondly, 'The daughter has her Mother's face.'
They are dark, whereas I was mousy, they are beautiful, where I was plain.
Their faces are completely different; they have a different type of brain.
Both of them are modest people; I'm a show-off, I admit;
They just do not resemble me the tiniest little bit.
To think I waddled round all fatly, and then went through the childbirth stuff,
Then nurtured them both for eighteen years. Wasn't that enough?
No, 'the survival of the fittest' has simply cut me out,
I find I'm having to ask myself 'What's Motherhood all about?'
I suppose it doesn't matter. I suppose I shouldn't care
That descendents, looking at photos, may say 'Who's that woman there?'
Oh woe is me! I am recessive. Soon to disappear from the scene.
For I'm a walking, talking, living, breathing but truly recessive gene.
*

------------------------------------------





MANY A TRUE WORD!

"Many a true word spoken in jest."
When was Mankind at his best?
Rising to two legs was a gain
But now we're sinking back again!
Did we swing down from the trees
To merely live a life of ease,
Crouching over a little screen,
In a shape reminiscent of the Pleistocene?
That noble creature, centre-stage
Belongs to a much less 'civilised' age,
But did his sons grow extended thumbs,
Stunting the growth of their craniums,
Gazing, with hypnotised satisfaction,
At a little screen, which breeds inaction?
Oh the curve of that human graph!
If it wasn't so sad it would make us laugh.
*

5 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Well, Brenda, if this is true, your offspring are missing out on something wonderful, because you are the funniest poet since Ogden Nash.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

photowannabe said...

You may be recessive but I'm sure your daughters don't think so. To know such beauties came from you gives you the A+++, 3 gold stars in my book.

Roger Owen Green said...

i never found you recessive, or regressive. maybe obsessive!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Berowne said...

I've always liked recessive genes. They're quiet, and stay mostly off by themselves. :-)

Meryl said...

sweet rhymes. The Genetic Misfit reminds me (fondly) of the Darwin Awards! Thanks for the smile I leave with.