Monday, August 22, 2011

Blue-Ringed Octopus



BLUE MONDAY
BLUE-RINGED OCTOPUS!

Have any of you ever seen
An octopus eating a submarine?
Well, neither have I, and I'm very glad
That that's not an experience I've had!
But........long ago, in my childhood days,
And going through an enquiring phase,
I saw a picture in a book,
Which certainly made me stop and look.
There was an octopus, larger than life,
With a submarine in a lot of strife.
It's tentacles embraced the craft,
Up and over, fore and aft,
And, worst of all, one eye looked in
Through the porthole at the men within!
I was horrified by the sight
Which gave me nightmares every night.
I felt sure an octopus  would pursue me
And do the most terrible tortures to me.
Below you see a similar view!
And I believed this could come true!


Now I live in the Land Down Under
Where the sea is full of many a wonder,
And round the coast, even near to us,
Is the home of the Blue-Ringed octopus!
I don't go in the ocean so I don't fear
That one will be drawing very near!
They're very poisonous, so I'm told,
So the thought of them makes my blood run cold.
However, they have one attribute
Which makes each a less appalling brute.
When they're readying for attacks
The circles featuring on their backs
Turn the very brightest blue!
A way of saying 'I'm after you!'
I feel this is their saving grace,
Proving they're not entirely base.
*

-------------------------------------------------------------

TAMED!

Sometimes water comes in a gigantic form.
Ships sail on it.
Whales inhabit it.
It drowns whole cities.
Its depths are inconceivable.
It covers most of our planet.
Sometimes water comes in an intimate form.
A little boy learns to drink
From a bubbler
In the park.
*

No comments: