Saturday, October 15, 2011

School Assignment




SCHOOL ASSIGNMENT
WOT I DID ON MY HOLIDAY
(Covering quite a few memes in the process!)


A coach-load of Old Biddies (with some handsome men thrown in)
Gathered on Sunday morning for their holiday to begin.


After twelve hours travelling we arrived at our destination;
A homely no-frills country motel, with good accommodation.


Here is a pretty shadow up on the motel wall.
I'm trying my best with all the memes but I doubt if I'll get them all!


Merimbula was charming, with a lovely sandy beach,
And lakes and mountain scenery all within easy reach.


Some people climbed to the headland, but I remained below,
Where rocks and surf and sunshine put on a tremendous show.


Here's another shadow, four ladies taking their ease,
They all were wearing jackets because of the chilly breeze.


Here's a monochrome of the scenery as we set out next day;
It was truly lovely, every step of the way.


Here are my good friends Sue and Bob, who joined our little group;
Between them they supplied us with an entertainment troop!


We called in at an Aquarium; among all that we were seeing
Was this old Blue Groper, who thinks he's a human being!


At night we met for a concert; this happy trio's preparing
To go off on a cruise next month. We all wish we were sharing.


Next came a visit to 'Foxglove Spires'. A real highlight for me.
There were many lovely reflections, as you can clearly see.


And here is Toni, an old, old friend, here with her new friend, Jean.
They both enjoyed the Gardens, with their fresh and beautiful green.


And here is Joy enjoying the views with the equally delightful Jan;
(Joy actually reads my blog each day so I include her when I can!)


But a lot of the time I strolled around completely on my own.
'Foxglove  Spires' was one of the best 'English Country Gardens' I've known.


The verdant lawns were glorious, after some welcome rain. 
(They've just lived through eight years of drought, which, no doubt, will come again.)


At every turn there were vistas, and arbours to delight.
Turn a corner and there one found yet another lovely sight.


Yet reminders of the Tropics were very near at hand,
Reminding us that Australia is a very varied land.


But lush 'Irish' greenery surrounded us as well;
Below see an impression of a lovely Dingly Dell!


We went to an Oyster Farm one day, not something that inspires,
So I just had a snooze on the coach and dreamed of Foxglove Spires!
But dinner at the Country Club had very much more appeal.
Every evening of the trip we had a tasty meal.


Below are some Candid Camera shots of the travellers at the table;
I'll just say 'Here they are', not give everyone a label!





Next day we set off on a trip on a boat called 'Cat Balou'.
Here are some of the 'ladies' pretending to be the crew!


And here I am with Malcolm enjoying the ocean air
And proving that sea-breezes can play havoc with one's hair!


But then came the great excitement! Whales were sighted out at sea!
Our boat shot out nine nautical miles to see what we could see.
My photographs were very poor, one shot will have to do
To show you just how near they were! It almost seemed untrue!
They really loved us being there! They nudged the boat for fun
And dived and leaped and played around splashing their tails in the sun.
I'm sure they were pleased to see us; they even waved goodbye!
Slapping the water with their tails and leaping up on high.
'Foxglove Spires' got the photos, but the Whales were a highlight too.
A lovely bonus experience right out of the blue!


The next day was not so exciting; we learned about making cheese!
But here's a little touch of 'pink' that I know is sure to please.
(Enlarge to read pink card)




After that to Kamaruka all of us made our way.
This was once the estate of an English Earl  who had Cricketers to play.
He built his employees houses and, because he was filthy rich,
He also built the players their own private cricket pitch.
He had the English team to play, with the locals crossing swords,
And then, as you see, he named his pitch after the famous 'Lords'.


Our finale was a concert, with Sue in pride of place.
She is a born comedian, with just the right sort of face.


As you can see, her audience was tickled by her tales;
She has a certain way with her that never never fails.


Next day we left at dawning, for the journey home was long,
But they all left with a copy of my 'Merimbula' song!


When the mist rose we loved the country that we were driving through.
Kangaroo Valley is famous, as everybody knew.


Finally, a shot of our driver, Garry, a genial man,
Who made sure we  were comfortable and that everything ran to plan.
He was a most unusual man; unruffled and a charmer.
But, the coach is only a part of his job; at heart he is a farmer.
He has a farm with dairy cows and he spoke in such a fashion
That all of us were soon engrossed in his obvious sincere passion.


So now I'll hand my homework in; I hope I get a star!
Why not come to Sunny Australia, where all the lovely people are!
*


14 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

O what a post! This brought back memories! Kangaroo Valley I visited many times when I lived in Sydney and Merimbula tended to be on the way to further south! Your travels sound fascinating! I would probably have visited the oysters just out of curiosity, but would love the beach and gardens!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I keep looking for low airfares from the U.S. to your wonderful country. Alas! nothing is "low" anymore, save my spirits, for not being able to travel!

SHADOW, SHADOW
(With apologies to William Blake)

Shadow, shadow lurking dark
In a corner of the park,
What immortal eye can see
Your transcendent symmetry?


© 2010 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Shadowy Little Pool

Susannah said...

What a wonderful trip! All those lovely sights and you even saw whales too! I really enjoyed coming along. :-)

Lovely pictures and a really nice post. Thanks very much for sharing it with I Saw Sunday.

Susannah x

vivinfrance said...

Rinkly, I'll bet you even speak in rhyme! Thank you for sharing your wonderful holiday with us.

Cassie said...

What a great holiday!! I had a blast viewing all of your adventures. Wish I could have been there too. Happy SSS to you.

say cheese said...

nice place, wonderful photos and interesting post.

Marie said...

Interesting post. Many blue captures in this one. Please have a great monday.

Elaine said...

What a fun looking adventure and you have some very nice pictures

SmilingSally said...

What a fun time you had!

Happy Blue Monday to you, Brenda!

nonizamboni said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful holiday! And whales! such a fun post--thanks for sharing each and every detail.

genie said...

I went on a bus tour through Scotland probable 12 years ago and we all had the best time. The driver had us rotate seats each day....a clever idea...we got lots of different views. Seeing the photos of you all at the dining table brought back lots of memories. I can tell you had a grand old time.Loved every shot in your series. genie

Kay L. Davies said...

I'm thrilled about the whales, Brenda. I'm sure many whales and dolphins enjoy boats, and like to entertain people. When they have the whole ocean to swim in, they choose to play around the boats, until it's time to slap their tails to say goodbye.
It looks like you had fun. I can understand having a nap in your seat instead of going to see oysters. I would have done the same thing.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

2sweetnsaxy said...

Thank you so much for sharing those! Looks like you had a wonderful time and what wonderful scenery and things to enjoy... not to mention the people! :-)

Jinksy said...

Thanks for letting us be armchair travellers with you!♥