Monday, October 31, 2011

Not the Danube

                                       Cockle Creek Australia

BLUE MONDAY

NOT THE DANUBE

I saw the Danube one fine day
When I chanced to be on a holiday.
Dreams of romance were in my mind;
Who knew what I would chance to find
Strolling along by the river-side
Blue and sparkling, clear and wide?
'The Blue Danube' echoed in my heart
And strains of Strauss began to start.
I knew that I'd be swept away
To another age, another day.
*
Now, maybe the dull day was to blame,
But the river did not live up to its name.
I apologise to my Austrian friends
But I feel that they should make amends.
All that publicity led me to
A river which was quite un-blue!
Donkey-brown and not a glimmer
Of sparkles that could have made it shimmer!
Strauss cancelled his concert in my brain
When he saw the Danube was under rain.
*
Now, please take note of the illustration
With which I began this conversation.
Here is a river that makes no claim
To having a world-wide remembered name.
Here is a modest little stream
That meanders on and would never dream
Of dabbling in publicity
Or of being more than it's meant to be.
Behold the Blue River of which I speak.
Here, on the map, is Cockle Creek!
*
--------------------------------------------------------------------

QUID PRO QUO
(An Acrostic)

Questions arise about this phrase!
Unless they’re answered I’m in a daze!
Is the meaning 'tit-for-tat'?
'Do this for me and I’ll do that?'
*
Perhaps the Latin suits it better
Revealing the meaning in each letter.
Or do we use Latin just to be clever?
*
Queries just go on for ever.
Useless to explain the reason
Out goes Latin till next season!
*


3 comments:

lina@home sweet home said...

looks serene and peaceful...

SmilingSally said...

Nonetheless, I hummed the waltz while I read your poem!

Happy Blue Monday to you, Brenda!

Kim, USA said...

Beautiful place!

My Blue